Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

With the prices of gas soaring high, those of us with big trucks and gas thirsty v8's are not hurtin, but more trying to conserve on money spent on gas. There has to be better ways of saving money.

Lately I have been trying to ride my motorcycle when I can, but has crossed my mind to make an addition to the vehicle line up. Between the k-5, the 63 Impala SS, and my motorcycle, plates and insurance companies like me.

The motorcycle gets 50 mpg but can't carry very much and can't ride it in the rain.

What about a cheap car or small truck for gas mileage?

Would the cost of plates, insurance, and maintenance add up to any sort of money saved for the lack of gas used? Or would it actually end up spending more taking care of another vehicle?

I think the latter.

Montgomery Gentry said in a song, I ain't tradin in my family's safety, just to save on a little gas.

I kinda feel that way about it. My k-5 might be big, heavy, and thirsty, but I feel safe in it and I know my family will be too. Versus something made out of styrofoam and tinfoil.

Everyone is rushing out to get these "fuel saving vehicles" and hybrids. Just out of curiousity, what happens when those batteries go out? I heard a lady in town here had a Ford hybrid, an early one can't remember what model, but her battery went out after about 4 or 5 years. SHe went to Ford, and the dealership said it would be multiple thousands of dollars, she said $9,000 but that sounded kind of extreme to me.

Also what about these electromagnetic fields around the hybrids or battery powered cars? Don't they create a large eletromagnetic field around them? Thats what I have been hearing about them.

I know this is long but I just felt like bringing up some of these issues I keep hearing about.

For me I'll stick to the blaze.

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well Ive considered these options as well and have come to the conclusion that it is not worth it to buy another vehicle cause the payments, insurance, and maintanence would cost more than what I would save in gas and the only way to really save money would be to completely get rid of my truck and buy a little car and neither of those is going to happen. but even still I think the payments and such would be equal to or more than what I spend on gas and parts for my big truck. so Ill keep spending money on gas and drive what I enjoy and feel comfortable driving.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Depends on how much money you spend on the fuel efficient car and how many miles you drive.

A $30-40k Hybrid is gonna cost too much to really save any money.

Now if you bought a sub-$3000 car that gets better than 30 mpg you are really doing something.

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well I really dont drive that much, which is why I dont think I would save much money. on average Ill drive around 100-150 miles a week during the summer and about 60 miles a week during school.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I drive a crown vic that gets 15mpg so I too have been thinking about gas money. I just picked up a 1998 ford focus ZX2 at a city impound auction for 310.00$ It has 128k, runs great, and gets 35mpg. Granted I have to go through the PAIN IN THE A$$ NY salvage title process and fork over 200.00 in fees, but FULL comp coverage is 146.00 every 6 months, and plates are 43 a year. Considering I am spending 50.00 a week in gas in the Vic, I am sure I will save money. I just have to wear a monkey suit when I drive so no one knows it's me. Oh, and these small cars sure are a pain to get in and out of.

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No most likely not worth it.

Its funny how everyone is trying to buy more fuel efficient cars but at what price? Hybrids are thousands more than the regular models. And you'd only save like $150 on gas per year. Plus the regular models aren't as complicated as the hybrids so their upkeep is less $$.
    As said before, after car payments, insurance, plates, ect. you would save more $$ driving your gas guzzler than getting another more efficiant car.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I combined making my truck more capable with making it way more fuel efficient. Got rid of the carb'd 350 (sub 10 mpg) in favor of a 6.2. That was step one and netted me a 6.3 mpg increase. I still get to drive my K5 but the fuel bill doesn't hurt near as much anymore. It's also a lot better off road (injection versus carb, plus more off idle torque)

Step two for me is coming up very soon, and that is to add an NV4500 plus 203/205. The dual T-cases doesn't do anything for fuel mileage, but the addition of overdrive will get me into the 20+ mpg range.

So, I make my truck quite a bit better off road and get the mileage into a very respectable range, and I don't blow money on an econobox. Cheap econo-boxes save on fuel, but nickle and dime you to death on upkeep and repairs. Spendy econoboxes take a real long time to recoup the initial investmant while depreciating quickly (like any new vehicle).

Rene

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I put on 40K a year. My two-year-old Hyundai has paid for itself twice with the price of gasoline.

That being said, you can buy an awful lot of gas for $9000.......:thinking:

9. stkcode

stkcode Registered Member

It still seems cheaper to buy an old truck and dump 10 - 15k into it in mods (newer engine, tranny, etc.), pick up some better fuel milage and still have a better than new factory truck. The added bonus is not taking the smack in the face, when the second the vehicle leaves the dealer lot and just depresiated 10k....ouch.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Geo Metro Xfi. 52 mpg and you can find them for sub-$2000.

j

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It does seem cheaper, but remember this common mantra:

"TIME IS MONEY"

Sometimes it's really nice to own a brand new econobox that doesn't need ANYTHING done to it. It seems that my older trucks are always in need of some kind of attention, and honestly, I started getting sick and tired of the constant nickle and dime show.

You'll notice, though, that I own three 80s vintage GM trucks. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment......:doah:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a DD that pays for itself in gas savings, but I drive 30,000 miles a year. It is also nice because the Burb can stay in a near constant state of repair/upgrade with out me having to get it back together by Monday.

13. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

if you want economy go diesel!!! vw, golf, jetta, or toyota all can be found relatively cheap and net you over 30mpg and bes of all "no smog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or you can swap in a 6.2 they can be found pretty cheap too!!

14. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Thats what Im hearing. Faster payback on a diesel than anything.
    I got a Toy Camery w/4cyl. 20/30 mpg. Its kind of sad though, I had an 87 T-Bird w/302 CID and got the same mileage.:( And it was much more of a car.

I dont see how hybrids save anything with the added cost/maintenance etc.
    Ive also heard insurance companies are not covering any spill clean ups after they get into accidents, has anyone heard this too ???

15. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what about converting your trucks to ethanol or alchohol? mileage is about the same to a little less, but the fuel should be cheaper. biodiesel is a very cheap way to go, but the biodeisel convertor is whats the kicker.

16. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Same with me. I bought my Mazda new in Feb '04 and it now has like 47,000 miles. Average fuel economy over the life of the car is around 28mpg, with a max of 34mpg. I shudder to think how much I would have spent on gas for the K5 (or the previous K10), not to mention parts that wear out from constant use. When I finally stopped DD-ing the K10, it was when the u-joints started going bad (again) and the water pump started leaking (again) and the body was almost completely rotted away (yay, Michigan).

Besides only having to fill up every six days instead of every two, it's really nice driving a vehicle that you don't have to worry about what part is going to fall off or blow up next. And I honestly feel just as safe in my car, since it has air bags all around me and massive crumple zones to protect my ass.

I also have the motorcycle for good weather days, and that saves me even a little more (around 38mpg) but the cargo capacity is definitely limited (even on a Goldwing). I have a trailer that I pull behind the bike but then my mileage drops to the point where I can just take the car.

It's nice to have options.
    Carrying/pulling big, heavy stuff or out playing: Blazer
    Carrying medium stuff or going long distances: Mazda
    Packing light or fantastic weather: 'Wing

In a nutshell: you can pick up a used econobox and save money and wear and tear on the truck.

17. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It is very good to have two vehicles, as long as you have a place to park them both (preferably in a garage).

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too much...

I have plenty of parking space--unfortunately,my vehicles ARE parked 95% of the time--due to lack of gas money!...a friend had me fix a few lawnmowers,and he put 20 bucks in my tank so I could go get them(10 miles away)..its the most gas I've had in the tank in a year I bet!..its using it up rather quickly though..I can get 15 mpg out of the 305 on the highway,but in stop and go city driving I get more like 10-12..:mad:

I dont see much advantage to buying an econobox--its the insurance,plates,inspection stickers and tires,gas oil,and battery for another vehicle that negates any " gain"...lets do the math..

1. Get a cheap gas saver--lets say you find a 500 dollar Geo (unlikely!)..

2.Insure it..here that'll cost 450 bucks a year for "compulsory"coverage (bare minimun required to be legal--only covers damage to the OTHER car,and bodily injury)..now we're 50 bucks shy of 1000 bucks already!

3. Get inspection sticker--29 bucks,IF it passes without spending more on tires,tune up,etc..(unlikely!)..

4. New battery,for peace of mind--40-80 bucks--lets say we buy the cheep one for 40 bucks..

Total of 1,019 dollars ,just to legally drive it !...

Now--at 3 bucks a gallon,thats 339.6 gallons of gas (if my calculator is correct!)...now if you get 12 mpg,thats 4,075 miles you could drive your safe,heavy,and easier to repair K5 or pickup!..

If it has a 6.2,that gets say,18 mpg,diesel here is 2.90 a gallon,1,019 bucks buys 351.3 gallons--you could drive 6,324 miles ,for what your "economy" car would cost just to get it legally registered and insured,inspected..and most likely you wont find a 500 dollar 4 banger econobox now..more like 1000,and it still needs $$ to be dependable and pass inspection!..:doah:

It would be feasable if we didn't needi nsurance and plates...otherwise,its a losing proposistion.....better off getting a job that pays more,or is closer to home!..:crazy:

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's three months for me, four tops if I don't take any trips or visit my girlfriend. And then I'd be back in the same boat.

Have you looked at the economy lately? :doah:

20. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i gotta 1980 toyota that gets 19-22 mpg's (the way i drive it)

Total cost:

1980 toyota: 600$ purchased in march of 2006 600.00
    insurance: 150 every 6 mo. 150.00
    vehicle reg. and tax (dmv) 85.00
    new tires (all 4) 202.14
    brakes 30.00
    battery (red top and voltage reg.) 200.00
    new windshield wiper (only 1) 8.00
    oil changes so far (4) 50.00
    gas 2,240.00
    already drove 14,000 miles since 3-4-06 total= 3,565.14

keeping my 1974 k20 as a driver for those miles alone at 8 mpg's (the best ive seen my truck get) would have been: 87.5 tanks of gas at 60.00 to fill, that's 5,250$ in gas alone not to mention maintenance on the truck and a set of swampers is 1,200 and they would have been gone.