Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it safe to run springs backwards?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 79Beast, May 22, 2002.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'd like to get some input from Stephen on this. I want to run Skyjacker 4" lift 56" length rear springs on my 79 k10 shortbox 1ton. I have the ORD hangers already and currently run 4" blocks to match my 8" front springs. I understand that if I run the 56" springs backwards, It will locate my rear axle 4" back of stock. I like this alot. Would running the springs backwards be safe on the street? What about axlwrap with the 56" springs vs. 52's? I'm running a welded rear with 44" TSL's and I have a habit of using the secondaries on my Edlebrock 1910. Also, what application should I use to get 56" springs for my truck? Thanks yall.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'll take input from anybody. I want Stephen's input, but I want all the ideas I can get. Please let me know what you think. Also any alternative ideas on a good way to move my rear axle back while eliminating my rear 4" lift blocks. Thanks yall.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I don't think a spring knows if it's forward or backwards.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

But it knows if it's on a Chevy!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What about the springs with the military wrap on one end? I don't know and was kinda curious about this myself.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't see any problems with running a 56" spring backwards, it'll do just what you're after.
    Axle wrap should not be any worse than with a 52", and maybe better since most 56's are built stiffer since they're for heavier rated trucks. I don't see any street drivability or safety problems with it. At least not on a lifted GM with 44's. A stock car racer may feel a difference in handling but you probably won't.

Military wraps are a safety feature that holds the spring in place if the main leaf breaks. They also give the main leaf some support along the entire length which can help lower stress on it.