Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it time for a rebuild? part 2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Dec 8, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Alright guys..It`s been previously stated that I`ve had some issues with my motor, mainly that it smokes alot and burns a good amount of oil. So far I`ve done a few things. 1) found out PCV port was clogged on the TB 2) pulled the TB off, cleaned it up, then reinstalled. 3) I then replaced the PCV valve, along with giving it an oil change, and as soon as i pull out of my driveway to take it for a spin, I left a nice cloud of smoke infront of my house, and again every time I got on the gas, or left a stop sign.

I`ve yet to do a compression or leak down test.

As I was told by ryoken to check my blowby from the breather, but I`m not sure how to describe it..like how much is too much etc..

Any suggestions, advice, etc. you want to add, feel free...

If you think it`s obvious I need a rebuild, maybe throw out an idea of what I should do, ie get a rebuild, get a crate (any specifics, under $2k), etc....

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Do the compression and leak down tests before you get too involved with replacing this thing.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

do a compression test. its a good place to start. If you can do the labor on a motor swap, then $2K gets you a nice motor. I had one built for $1600 that puts out 400 lb/ft. I did a lot of work myself. I did all the engine disassembly.

4. NEK5

Well, I`ll be able to get a good amount of help with the swap if need be. If thats the way things go, I think 2k will be my limit, maybe 2500.

I`ll look into get a CT done soon, hopefully my friends dads up for it:eek1:

5. gmc4cw

you can do it yourself it just takes longer.

6. NEK5

ok, yesterday when i was out driving i got the noise again. Sounded more a like a knock, and it did it 3 times in a row, and when i heard it, i looked in my rear view mirror and saw some pretty smoke pouring out of the exhaust:eek1:

7. gmc4cw

Merry christmas honey, I spent all the kids present money on a new small block.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

DO THE FREAKING LEAKDOWN TEST ALREADY!

9. gmc4cw

If you keep doing the same thing and expect a different result then, you sir are stupid. Diagnose it with tools, not a keyboard. time to get your hands dirty.

10. NEK5

No, I don`t think repeating my self many times is going to tell me anything different. I do plan on a leak down and compression test as soon as i get the time/tools/help. I just got done moving houses, so its been a little busy around here.

As soon as i do both tests, I`ll post up any and all results....I think its not going to be the results i`m looking for, if so, i may have a lead on a motor with the same amount of miles on it, but it doesnt smoke and it runs strong, according to muddybuddy:D :rolleyes:

11. NEK5

Since it`s already obvious I`m burning oil, would you rather a leakdown test or a compression test? or will i pretty much get the same results?

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the leakdown test will tell you more information.

it will tell you if and how much compression you're losing, as well as where you're losing it.

13. NEK5

as far as simplicity goes, the compression test just tells me that the certain valve is bad, right? not just rings?

also for a leakdown test, what do i need to buy, the fitting, a certain kind of guage?

14. gmc4cw

http://www.type2.com/library/engineg/leaktst.htm

check this out. it is a simple explaination. a compression test is easier, but a leak down will tell you more. a compression test will tell you if you have a bad cylinder. if you do a compression test and gets some real low numbers on 1 or more cylinders then its obvious something is wrong. if they are all close to the same then a leakdown is the next step.

15. NEK5

thank you sir, that`s what I was thinking...

Since I know I can readily get the compression tester, I think I`ll do that first...then if the numbers aren`t too bad, then a leakdown test will follow...

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a compression test will tell you NOTHING but the fact that there is low compression in a certain cylinder.

a leakdown tester...