Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it true that the stock steelie 16.5" rims have the inner safety bead?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 10, 2002.

is it true that the stock steelie 16.5\" rims have the inner safety bead?

if so do you think i could pull off runnin a 12.50 tire on a 6" wide wheel. it would just be for wheelin and driving to and from the trails.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: is it true that the stock steelie 16.5\" rims have the inner safety bead?

Jason, I just checked out an old 16.5x6.75 stock steel rim I have and it has a safety lip. It may not be as big as on a 15" rim but there is definitely a lip there. I ran 35x12.5x16.5 General Grabber MT's on a set of those rims for about 3 years. I've had em down to 18-20 psi wheeling and never lost a bead too. I doubt I'd go any lower than that though. The narrowness prolly helped keep em on the rim too though.
    As for wear...they wore nicely even on the skinny rims. I have 35,000 miles on the tires and well over 40% tread left on all but one. I had a bad ball joint and went on a long trip without realizing...by the time I got home the one front tire was very badly cupped.

Rene

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure,

I had a 36/15/15 D/C tire on a 8 inch wide rim.

I couldn't bust the bead to save my life, and I even set a car-hoist, with a car on it on the tire- and it still didn't break the bead.

I'd say go for it.

3. Re: is it true that the stock steelie 16.5\" rims have the inner safety bead?

thanks, rene. i remember you had the stock wheels for a while but i didn't know they were 16.5s. i saw a guy in town once with 44s on stock steelies! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

mid-70's chevy 16.5 steel rims had this safety bead and I was one of those who ran a spare 44" on one of these skinny "stock" wheels-probably made a 44" stand up to a 46"

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I just fixed a flat on one of mine and checked. and it did. like said abouve it wasn't very big but it was there.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

the 16.5 on,\ly has like a 5 degree beedlock where the 15 and 16 inch rims have a 15 degree beed lock... big difference...

7. Re: is it true that the stock steelie 16.5\" rims have the inner safety bead?

you still talking about the stock wheels? where did find that out? divulge your sources!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif not calling you a lier, just curious. still don't get why they decided to make the most tires for the crappiest rim.