Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is It Worth Balancing Big Boggers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jan 30, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hi everyone...I have had my '89 Jimmy for less than 5 days and already have the interior stripped and the bumpers and fenders ready for trimming. I'm looking into tires and I need to know if a 39.5" Bogger is worth balancing. This truck will need to be driven 30 minutes to an hour on pavement to and from trails. I'm just wondering if it's even worth going through the hassle and if anyone has had any success with balancing large super swampers.

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

where did the tires come from.... if it was big o they'll do it for free. don't even know if they sell em tho.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nobody anywhere for 30 miles will put my 38.5 TSLs on a balancer. I don't care anymore as it's trailer trash.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i hope you yanked the 10 bolts out while you're at it. if not, with 39.5" Boggers, you're gonna need to in the very near future.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont bother with spin balencing them find a shop with a bubble balencer thats the way i do the bias swamppers at work. it works great. did the bosses 33x14.5x15 boggers on a ifs 4 runner and he said like night and day.

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Try a big rig shop?

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Golf balls or bb's.

Rob

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

NO :p:

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I don't see why you would try to balance the tires on a trail truck. I only takes one good wheeling trip to change the balance completely. I've had all different sizes of bias ply tires and the only ones I ever bothered balancing were the 31x12.50 Thornbirds I had on my Dodge. Consequently, those 31s rode worse than the 44" Boggers I have now.

10. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

I had mine done at cross midwest. It is a place that services big rigs. THey tried to use equal at first, but it didn't work. Mine balanced out but it took pounds of weight not ounces. One tire took 4 lbs. Good thing about them is they guarentee it so anytime a weight flew off I took it back in and got it done again. The only reason I went through the trouble is it was my DD for the first year I was in college. For that reason I think it was worth it. Driving back in forth to school and home on the weekends( about a 2 hour drive) and to all the local spots to play. After the first year I finally got a new truck so I stopped worring about it. BTW, I am the guy you got your 1 tons from.

11. mikey_d05

Ok, we're getting away from the core question. I can have the balancing done if I want to...but the question is, is it worth it? And yes, a d60/14bff combo are going in the truck as soon as I get the chance. They're already in my garage, prepped and ready to go. Here's a picture of what it looked like when I brought it home. Only six days ago but it already looks considerably different.

Picture 006.jpg

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thay are big and loud and vary agressive . just put them on the truck and go. dont wast your time. if its going to be dd run some other tires for that use then boggers for fun.

13. mikey_d05

BTW, it's not as rusty as it looks. Most of that stuff is surface rust that some idiot tried to patch with bondo. The sawzall and cutoff wheel will take care of that.

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have them throw the tires on a dynamic balancer (spin) to see which ones are slappers (out of round). Take the least two out of round ones and have them put them on the static balancer (bubble) and tell them that as long as they get close (I'd say within 12 ounces to a pound) that it's good enough. One of my TSLs is about 8 ounces out of balance and it is barely noticeable compared to the slap two of them have.

At 55mph those tires really aren't spinning very fast. As long as you put the "good" ones on the front it doesn't matter.

15. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I'd throw 6-8 golf balls in each. I have 6 in my 42 tsls and it seems to work.

Of course now 10 people who haven't done this are going to chime in and tell you what a bad idea this is, cause they heard from a friend of a friend of their uncle's wife's husband's friend that "it'l eat the tire and rust the rim."...:D

16. mikey_d05

Explain this golf ball thing to me...

17. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I don't know the actual physics behind it, similar to how equal works. But golf balls won't clump when wet, and are not abrasive like BBs.

18. mikey_d05

So essentially you just dump them in the tire, air it up, and they'll settle into the low spots when the tire is rotating at high speed and help to balance it? I understand the physics behind it, I just wouldn't think that most people would run around with golf balls in their tires. If it works, awesome, but I've honestly never heard of these tricks before. All of my previous trucks have been run with 35's and under.

19. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you run the Boggers on a Daily driver you will be Amazed how fast they will wear out............................................................................................

20. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Use Equal, it works really well, just be sure they put enough in.