Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MightyWhitey, Aug 20, 2005.

1. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey Newbie

Hey everyone...I'm turning to all the expierience here for this one.

O.k., here's the story...I had always wanted a fullsize blazer and I finally talked a guy at work into selling his to me. Yay for me. Well in my head I have big plans...but I'm starting to question whether I should follow through or not.

First off, this isn't a daily driver, but I'd like to drive it when I get the urge. It would mostly be used for playing in mud or on trails, with occasional work on the farm.

It's pretty rusted out (the pics really don't show it well), both rockers are gone (extending into the floorboard), along with the bottom of both fenders. The windshield pillars and cowl panel, and wheel arches are pretty bad as well as other misc. rust. The truck runs and shifts like a top.

My "big plans" were to add a few inches of lift...enough to clear at the most 38" with flex and probably do some simple power and exhaust upgrades...and down the line maybe a body swap...just to make a fun, capable 'wheeler.

So what do you guys think...is it worth it, or should I drive it like it is until it turns to dust?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

That is ALOT of rust, but if it dosent bother you and you can get a heck of a deal on it (because its so rusted), i say go for it. You wont worry so much when the time comes and you have to squeeze thru a tight trail.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

is it worth it has a lot to do with how much.

if your not going to street it then it could be easy, just hack out the rust fenders to clear the bigger meats, and get a used lift from the for sale forum, pull the doors or boat side it or go with something like half doors, and fix the floor redneck stile, sheat metel and screws if you dont have a welder.

flat tow it to the trail and you good to go i have a few friends who di it that way it is cheaper and fun since they dont have to go to work tommorow i it llike i do:rolleyes:

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if I was you, I'd trim the fenders.. removing most of the rust around the wheel wells first. Then cut out the rocker boxes and replace them with some rectangular steel tube ones. If the floor in that area is rusted, thats ok because the new rockers will get most of their support from the body sub-frame anyway. If anything the new rockers would give you a solid foundation to build "off of" to help make the floor near them more solid. All this hacking will help fit bigger tires you want with less lift also. No reason why you'd need more than 4" of lift to fit your 38s.

j

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I agree 100 %. Cut out the bad in the wheel openings. Square tube from fender back to rear wheel and build a floor. It's all good. Don't need to be pretty.

6. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey Newbie

Thanks! I knew I could count on the fine folks at CK5!