Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I have been shopping around for trucks for a daily driver and i found a 97 1 ton 5 speed with a 350, it has 170,000 miles on it and they are asking 4500, does this seem fair? Is there any major problems with these trucks that i need to look out for. I already ran a car fax and its clean, the truck runs great and has no rust on it. What do you guys think should i buy it?

2. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Factory Intake gaskets are a big problem but at that mileage it more than likely has been done by now along with the heater hose quick connect on the intake. Sounds like a fair price to me.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

yea i think that its a fair price, but my parents think that its way expensive and think that i should get a newer truck becasue the payments are the smae but just longer

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Can't help on the truck but can give you advise from a parents point.

On the parent thing you have several choices. All depends on your relation with them.

1. If you live under their roof or receive help from them with rent or any money. You have to ask yourself if your choice will hurt that.

2. If you buy it and it "blows up" will they throw it up to you? "we told you not to buy it but noooooo".

3. If you are striving to get there approval on it and other choices you make. Have the data to back it up. Any maintenance records or receipts? What do similar trucks sell for on eBay (print it out) and in the paper?

4. Look at what your past track record is with them on issues.

5. Can you make it through life with out them helping you. If they are that kinda of parent.

6, Does you father have a mechanic he trust (takes his car to)? If so don't tell him but see if you can take the truck to him to check out. Then you have the information to show him its OK.

It all depends on how much you need and want their approval on things and what involvement they have with your life. These are things that have caused many a man to go through years of counseling. In the long run it comes down to this. You are the one who knows them and how you all get along.

If you want the truck to use and think it will last you. Tell them that and explain that in life we learn from mistakes and grow from them. I can see their point on the mileage of it. As a parent you want the best for your kids and I know I would hate to see my son work to make payments for a truck that won't run. In the buying a new truck (read Dealer) they see you getting a warranty and it not being someone else's headache.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned