Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it Worth my Time at a Junk Yard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

I can't for the life of me find a 14ff around dallas so I'm wondering if it is worth my time to go dig for an axle at a junk yard. I had one junky quote me $350 for an axle but that sounded outrageous. How much should I be able to pick one out of a junk yard for?

Jacob

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

if you find a good source, i'd like to know too. i know there are several yards on I35 north and south of town. good luck

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Local JY around Vegas say $250 to $300. I got mine for a trade.....

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

here in SLC, the U pullit yards get 125.00 if you pull it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I know there are tons of them at junkyards around D/FW...but they want way too much for them. one place told me $800 for a 14ff! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif but then, at the same time...he said $600 for a dana 60 front? it was no doubt actually a 44...so I just kinda laughed at them and walked out. another place told me they didn't even have any 14ff's, after I just saw about 30 of them lined up right outside the door. basically...these people have no idea what they're selling, let alone how much it's worth...so you probably won't find a good deal on one at a junkyard.

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I pay $50-100 for my 14FF's. I have never found a 60 at those yards but if I do, I imagine they would not want much for it.

7. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

If your up to driving about 3 hrs. I've got one near Texarkana. $100 has 4.10 and 42" perch centers.
    PM me if interested.
    Matthew

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Can find them all day around here for about $150-$200 or so, you pull it of course.

I paid $100 for my 14bff, had 3.73 and Gov-Loc, but a year later i paid $150 for the 10 bolt 3/4 ton front setup.

I pulled them of course.

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    basically...these people have no idea what they're selling, let alone how much it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

So True!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I have been to junkyards like what you are talking about. Where no matter what you asked them for they would say, "Yea, we got one". Even if you asked them for a Ford Boss 429 they would say, "Yea, we got one", and then try to sell you a 390 out of a 72 LTD because they did not know the difference.

Then there are the junkyards that know all too well exactly what they got, and charge jew high prices for the most in demand parts.