Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it worth the time? 14 bolt for Dummies.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Aug 19, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

The questions about disc conversions, and all the parts needed come up way too often and there are tons of threads about it. Is it worth the time to put together a step by step write up for it with part numbers, etc? I know the info is out there, but it's scattered everywhere. If it makes sense to put it together for future people, I'll do it as I swap mine all over. It would be kind of a 14ff and disc swap all in one.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

that would be cool to have with pics and such. it was pretty straight forward when i did mine. the hardest part was getting the old bolts off, which were stripped and everything else. the brakes themselves nearly fell off on their own.

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I agree that it's pretty straight forward. A lot of people like to see what they're getting into before they tackle a "big" job. With how often the subject comes up, I thought it would be nice to have all the info in one place so we don't have to tell people to search and/or dredge up old threads that never really finished so to speak. I've already started taking pics of stuff to collaborate it all together. Anyone have any input on anything else to include other than shaving, disc, and the actual axle swap? I'm just afraid that it will fall into the abyss of other threads. I plan on having all the part numbers, prices, etc. of everything.

4. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree. Don't waste the time or efforts in making a write up or anything. Too many of them out there and too many different variables since everyone seems to run a different "brand" than the other. Most of them already out on the 'net already give general ideas what to do, how to do, etc.

6. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

:doah: That's exactly why I asked. I haven't seen that one before, looks like it covers it pretty well. I won't do it then. Everything I had seen was fairly vague or the thread just kind of died off.

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be doing my swap very soon, because I recently ordered the DIY4X brackets. Even with all the research I've done, I'm sure I'll still post up with friggen noob questions.. I've yet to figure out which route I'm going with brake lines. Also not sure if I'll need new wheel studs, or reuse the old ones. I'll worry more with all that junk once I've gathered some more basic parts like calipers, rotors, ect...

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

my 14b was completely shot when i started it. i jus went ahead and got new studs. the brakes are sweet! you'll really like it. they stop the 40's pretty well

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Use the old lines that you took off the front of your truck. Just make sure you get calipers from the right era to fit your lines (i.e. D44 calipers).

10. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I just picked up front hoses for '70 Chevelle. They are 12" long and have the 7/16" banjo. If you need the 10mm banjo, use Astro van hoses which are also about 12" long. The Chevelle hoses were $11 each and the Astro were $10 each.