Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is Kayline going out of busness?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by malachi, Feb 6, 2001.

1. malachi

malachi Registered Member

This guy I know who works at a Parts Store just told me Kayline told him they are going out of busness
    anyone else heard anything?

2. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

As far as I know they are going strong. They just produced the new Fast Trac top for quite a few K5's and are in the process of producing one for the 73 to ?? years. Thats all I know about it. You could ask them if you want. Here is there site. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kaylinetops.com/>http://www.kaylinetops.com/</A>

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I asked them a question about a week ago and they never responded.

<font color=blue> Taxes are Stealing</font color=blue>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Man, I hope they're not. I'm trying to get their new Fast Trac top for my 75' K5, that supposedly comes out in March or April. Damn.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

5. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I heard from a friend today that they closed there doors. He seemed bummed since they are the only ones that make a top for the landcruisers.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just talked with a nice lady at Kayline. She said that they have "stopped the manufacturing line, pending a change of ownership". They have no tops in their warehouse at this time. The only tops available are those that might be found on a distributors shelf. [​IMG] She didn't know what's going to become of the company.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

7. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

So what's left now for tops? Bestop or custom? I was really hoping to get the Fasttrac this summer. This sucks.[​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

There is the the Skyler also.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

9. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=orange> Dont forget Can-Back!!!!!

<font color=orange> if you cant beat 'em, drive over 'em </font color=orange>

10. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k., I called and emaild Blake Robinson the president of Kayline and its true, they are going out of business, this is the email reply that he sent me.

Yes, it is sad but true. We are trying to sell the assets of the company. We have exhausted our working capital and can no longer continue in business. We have several interested parties looking at the purchase of the assets, but we have had no offers, as yet. I believe that the new owner would produce this top, but, of course, I have no way of knowing that. The design is finished and the top could now be produced.

Sincerely,

Blake

Damn I am sorry as hell to hear this
    Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

ahhh..............my life keeps getting better and better, and I'm out of beer!

<font color=blue> Taxes are Stealing</font color=blue>

12. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

So did they finish the new fast trac top for us 73-75 guys? I hope that someone buys the company I had 22 orders for their soft tops. This sucks! I was looking forward to finally getting a soft top for my Blazer. Anyone heard any other news or updates? I'm confused, why would they make a new top if they did not have the capital to begin with??????

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

13. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Find out if he wants to sell just the K5 designs and we'll all pitch in and have coloradok5 own the designs [​IMG].

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

14. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Can-Back doesn't make the Blazer tops anymore. They claim no profitability. Well, maybe it would have been different had they not charged $1,000 a top!!!

15. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

Start fabing up a soft top

Well lately i have thought about designing my own soft top, like Thumper has, but where do you get a square tube, pipe bender at? That is all i need. And where can you get that canback like cloth? I thought about going by a boat places, b/c i heard somewhere they make up these tops for boats custom. Like i make the frame and they cover it with windows and all. What do you guys think. I want to copy the canback desgin.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 85GMCJimmy on 02/08/01 03:23 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

16. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Re: Start fabing up a soft top

I guess this means us guys with full tops are out of luck. Is a custom soft top the only option left.

Happy Wheelin
    Butch

[​IMG]IF EVERYTHING WORKS IT AINT A REAL TRUCK[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I went to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://shop.store.yahoo.com/protopaccessories/bestigforbla.html>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/protopaccessories/bestigforbla.html</A>

On there they have a Bestop "tigertop" for 69-72, 73-75 and 76-88 Blazers/Jimmys. But in the picture above the description they show a J**P. They only come in black and the part numbers were BT51316 and 51316-01 (black) for 73-75 Blazers. The price for the top is $569.99 and about $50 less for 76-88 tops.

I talked to Bob at customer service and he had one in stock for 73-75 Blazers. He personally went back and checked to see if he had one in stock. He said he could give a "dealer" price discount on a group order if we went through someone like ORD. He said that if we decide to do that, we would need to get back with him so he could order some more tops. Plus, there is free shipping. Also, we could get dealer discounts on any other products on their site. I don't know if Stephen already has an account through that particular site but, it would be something to consider. Stephen, you just came to mind I am not trying to speak on your behalf.

What do you guys think? I am considering to buy one with my tax money. Or as a group either way. Any one have one of these tops or seen them on a Blazer?

Sorry about the book.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

18. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

I don't know if you want to do that sight unseen. I had a tiger top model on my jeep and it is bestops bottom line top. It is really cheesy and I was not at all happy with it.

19. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a Kayline top might be the superior top. On the Yahoo site they do claim that it is a brand new model. If it is there bottom line top for $569.99; I hate to see the top of the line top. That is very expensive compared to the Kayline.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

20. BigMan

BigMan Registered Member

I have one of there top of the line sunrider tops on my other jeep. It was like $1200 with the two piece soft doors. It's very expensive but it's a great top and seal great becuse it uses a slide rail mount system rather than snaps. It also folds back in the front like a sun roof.