Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my 10 bolt strong e-nuff??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Feb 23, 2001.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I keep going up and down about swapping my 10b for the 14b. For the next few years I'm not likely to be running anything bigger than 35's. Though I plan on using 1.5" rear wheel spacers, a cheap drop in locker and the widest 35s I can get... all of which puts more strain on the small axles. My 350 will be in the 300 range for HP and torque -wishfull thinking :) and I have a heavy right foot. I'll be doing mostly heavy mud and trail riding. It's also my ONLY source of transportation. Having said all that, is the 14b really nessecary considering all the extra weight and inch+ less ground clearance? I know the 10b has to be at least 30spl to even consider holding on to it. Maybe some of you guys, and gals, can throw some advice my way... again. Thanks! -Tommy

2. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

Depending on the local junkyards you can find all kinds of 14-bolt FF for $100 or less. They are mostly open carriers and if you spend the time you can even get the gear ration you want. So you'll have to carry 2 spares (6 & 8 lug) or convert the front to 8-lug $100-$200 is pretty cheap insurance...
    Eddie

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've already scoped out two or three 14b F/F's for about $75, plus the Detroit locker for it is only $350 compared to $550 for the 10b. But has anyone actually broke a 10 bolt w/ a simialr setup?

4. what junk yards are you guys shopping at! I paid $600 for both front and rear 3/4 ton axles. and the local junk yard wants $650 for just a rear ff 14 bolt! at your prices i'll buy 3 and sell them all for major profit!

78, 400/350/203, 3/4 ton, 2.5" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. kenbrown

kenbrown Registered Member

ive been running a 10 bolt for about 4 years with a arb in it. ive broke the side gears twice now. i do have the larger axle shafts and havnt had a problem with them. im curently putting a 14 bolt sf in now. i do run in moab alot. (rocks and locked up doesnt make for a good combo in anti breaking stuff)

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I want to know also what yards you go to. The cheapest I found around here is $500 for a Dana 44 and 14ff both of which were in need of help. IE:brakes, steering parts, etc.

<font color=blue>Happy Trails</font color=blue> [​IMG]
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Its call Pipes-U-Pull-it Auto Salvage in Shreveport/Bossier City Louisiana. I've found enuff 14b F/F for $75 to quit looking. The other yunkyards in the area want about $200. Still lower than what you're payin. Must be a supply and demand thang over there on the west coast. I think the shipping cost will greatly offset the ablity to score a profit. Not to mention I gotta pull them heavy bastards myself. Still lookin to score a deal on a front Dana 60 around here though. I've yet to even get close. Later! -Tommy

8. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

U R A GOD, not only is that junkyard near dallas, but its got some of the best prices ive seen.

thank you,

PHill

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Since you probably don't have a Shreveport phone book, let me know and I'll give the numbers so you can verify which location b4 you make the trip. There are like 3 or 4 Pipes-U-Pull-It auto stores. -Tommy