Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my 203 a "part-time" TC?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBen, Feb 25, 2003.

1. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is my 203 a \"part-time\" TC?

I'm trying to get rid of my TH350/NP203, and may be able to help Dunerunner and his buddy out if my 203 is part-time...

If I am thinking straight, the 203 never powered only the rear axle..... allow me to elaborate:

If I twist the rear output yoke, the tranny input spins, but the front yoke does not.

Being wary of the differential effect, I also tried holding the rear output yoke and spinning the front yoke. The tranny input DID NOT spin.

This indicates to me that the case has a part-time kit installed (front output totally disengaged from the tranny input).... is this correct?

Additional hint: The front hubs were converted to manual lock... the only reason I can come up with for this was a part-time kit.

Thanks,

-Ben

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Re: Is my 203 a \"part-time\" TC?

the best way to tell is unlock your front hubs and put the t-case one position up from all the way back(4-hi) if you give it gas and the truck goes nowhere, you are full time, if it goes, you are part time.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

do you have to have it in loc to make it move? my dodge when i had the front shaft out had to be locked to move at all, you could have one in there, lock the hubs, put it in hi, and try to do a break stand. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes it would have to be in one of the two loc positions to go anywhere with a shaft removed

5. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry guys, I should have told you more.....

The T-Case is out of the truck and laying on my garage floor! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The guy I bought it from claimed it had just been rebuilt, and the symptoms I described above made me think it has a part-time kit in it......

Let me know what you think,

-Ben

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

you could take the rear housing off and take a look, if it still has the spider gears then it hasnt been converted, but thats a bunch of work, removing the housing and tailshaft

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry guys, I should have told you more.....

The T-Case is out of the truck and laying on my garage floor! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The guy I bought it from claimed it had just been rebuilt, and the symptoms I described above made me think it has a part-time kit in it......

Let me know what you think,

-Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your description above I would say it's a part time converted case.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif