Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my 203's chain slipping?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scrubby, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Is my 203\'s chain slipping?

I was doing some towing last weekend with my '77 suburban. It's a 400/TH350/np203. The 203 has been converted to part time using some unknown kit by the previous owner. Anyway, I got into a big snow storm climbing the hill outside McCall, Idaho. Things got a little squirrely, so I turned in the hubs, and put it in 4 high. About 1/2 way up the hill, I start getting a loud banging noise every 5-10 seconds. Like the front end is going to fall out kinda banging. Only does it when the transfer case is shifted into 4 and under a load, like pulling the trailer.

I am thinking the chain in the 203 is slipping? Sound right?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Is my 203\'s chain slipping?

Yeah, that pretty much sounds like it to me. I was getting that same sort of sound in my old truck I had, turned out to be the chain was really stretched out and starting to wear out the teeth on the drive gears. I'd look at it or have it looked at as soon as you can.

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

its really easy to check in the truck get a pan to catch the oil and remove the round cirlce cover plate on the back side of the front out put shaft
    dont worry the bearing is in the cover is pressed so it wont fall out then ya can see the chain real good and squeeze it for slop check and look 4 metal shavings in the bottom of the case
    clean the surfaces real good use a good gasket or sealent and then put cover back on make sure ya tighten in a cris cross pattern and re fill with proper lub
    if all check out there ok the front may have different ratio then the back or be damaged
    hope it helps
    &
    good luck
    R

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bet it did get exiting on that road! I went to McCall about 2 months ago to pick up an old jeep for a buddy and thought that, that road would be something in the winter. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif