Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is my 205 no good???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stevos67k20, Sep 30, 2005.

1. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

i was driving my truck up a dune in pismo, california and i was in 4Lo in 3rd gear when i heard a nasty grinding noise. my truck did not stop moving but i stopped it becase it was so loud. i rolled back down the hill and put it in 4Hi and it worked fine. later that day i tried to use 4Lo again and i noticed extreme rear wheel hop and i figured out that my front axle was not getting any power from the transfer case. is there somthing i can do to fix this with out having it rebuilt? i am 17 years old and i am pretty good at working on my truck, is it possible for me to rebuild it with help of neighbors or should i have it rebuilt somewhere else?
    There is also a lot of slack in my drive line. when i turn sharp in my truck with the clutch in it makes a grr..............grr.........grr noise. same with reverse only going straight. what is this? i also cant idle in first gear because my truck just knocks back and forth and its really embarasing. i have to give it gas to stop knocking back and forth, is this caused by too much slack in the driveline? if so how do i fix it...
    -thanks

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd start by pulling the rear diff cover. Sounds dumb but it's easier than dropping the case at the moment. If everything is OK there I think your only option is to drop the case and tear into it. Your 205 can be rebuilt in your garage, just take lots of pictures and bag everything when you take it apart. I honestly don't know what could all be causing the symptoms you're listing though.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a shifter bolt come loos on my 205. when in 4h it was good. but under load in 4l it would pop out. hope this helps. good luck.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

that back and forth motion in first and reverse is just the way a stick is, some of my vechicles have do it, some havent, it seems to depend on gear ratio's