Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my 208 transfer case stuck in 4 hi??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Jul 29, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I noticed that my transfer case seems to be stuck in 4 hi--the shifter moves normally through all the positions,low range works fine,and I tried disconnecting the shifter and moving the lever on the case manually--I could move it back about a 1/4 inch more,so I adjusted the linkage out a little more figuring it was maladjusted--but the front shaft still turns when I turn the rear driveshaft,so I am wondering if anyone knows why it wont disengage?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifThe case is tight,no leaks--guess I have been driving it all this time in 4 hi,with the hubs unlocked all this time,maybe why its felt like I had an egg shaped tire at 35-45 mph for the past few weeks--I am fairly certain the linkage is now adjusted properly,the shifter moves from 4hi to 2hi with little or no resistance,like its not moving whatever should be unlocking the front shaft in the case??.Will I trash it driving it this way??.I have no cash to buy another 208 case right now,anyone have this problem before?? Fixes?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You say the front drive shaft turns in unison with the rear. How do you know? Is it residual friction, or is it actually turning with force? Not trashing you, just checking to see if you had a friend see what was happening or if you saw it for yourself. Sounds like the hubs aren't disengaging. Unless your shift fork is worn to a nub the T Case shouldn't be engaged.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had the same exact problem. my truck was stuck in 4 wheel drive. 2 hi to 4 hi has little to no resistance when moved the lever, nuetral works, and so does 4lo.

when i went to replace the tcase, i pulled the tailshaft housing to get the the speedo gears. when i removed it i heard a bang, the bearing was not pressed into the case like it was suppose to be, and with it on the ground i had 2 hi /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i pressed the bearing back into the case and put the tailshaft back on and i still had 2 hi. when i pulled the case on the other 208 i had, i heard no bang. i ended putting the original case back in and it works fine. i have 2hi.

i don't know what caused it, but my guess is the rear bearing. my case was NOT cracked either. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

it was the most mind boggeling thing ive ever run into. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif but it works fine now /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I was checking my u-joints with the tranny in neutral,engine off,by shaking and turning the driveshaft,too see if they had any play,because I get a "clunk" when I shift into reverse,so I wanted to check the u-joints and rear end for excessive slop,when I noticed the front shaft turning as well--if I try to hold the front shaft still while turning the rear,it feels locked in,not just moving due to the lube,etc. Tommorrow I will jack it up on stands,and do this test again(got dark too quick tonite!),I'm hoping its not the shifting fork,I never had to take a case apart yet,and would prefer not to!.I have been running it with the hubs unlocked,but the case is evidently still in 4hi,so that means all the gears and u-joints in the front have been turning under power,but not driving the wheels--not what I want it to do on a 180 mile round trip I wanted to use the truck on tomorrow night.Looks like I might have to use my 79 C10 with its sometimes rapping motor--this sucks--I blame it on the "Full Tank Syndrome"--every time I fill up a tank full of fuel on one of my vehicles(a rare ocasion 4 me!) it never fails,something always breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gifSimilar to the "Full Wallet Syndrome",when it breaks down on the way home from the bank after cashing your paycheck on friday night and are heading for a fun weekend,the "Wallet Sensor" in the truck knows when you have cash for that part you've been neglecting! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI havent had a full wallet for a long time though! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

pull the fron driveshaft off if you are worried about stuff spinning. the thing i would be most worried about are your lockouts. the rest of the driveline can take the spinning, look at all the fulltime'rs on the road