Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my 305 dying?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

first off it uses/leaks 1-2 quarts between changes, (i'm using full syn. oil right now.)
    the power really isn't there anymore.
    when i gas it from a stop i get a cloud puffed out of the exhaust every time, sometimes really big! and it smokes when i'm idling a lot.
    when i really stand on the gas or when i'm on a steep incline she really boggs down and black smoke is in the exhaust, bad carb? too rich.
    i am currently keeping my eye open for a good deal on a new or rebuilt 350, i don't want to rebuild this one. it's got just over 100K on it, all stock. any ideas on how i can pump a little life into her w/o pumping a lot of $$? just need to squeak out less than a year when i'll have enough $$...
    thanks.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Heyduke check out this site :
    http://www.sdpc2000.com/
    They have new crate 350's for under 1,300 bucks.
    Not too shabby...
    go to the browse catalog section and check out the "crate engines" section.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

3. 86K5inMN

86K5inMN Registered Member

I've heard that synthetic oil in a higher mile engine will sometimes leak more. I believe it has something to do with particle size. Maybe try a semi-synthetic?

4. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

dont feel bad about losing 1-2 quarts between changes. The 283 i had in my first blazer burnt a quart of oil every hour. And that thing smoked non-stop. When you stomped on the gas just sitting in park the smoke and leaks were so bad the it wouldnt clean it self out. so dont feel bad. shell be alright for awhile. but be on the lookout for one to throw in when the 305 blows.

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Try some hot plugs, thicker oil, and make sure everything is timed to the button....you might squeek a year out of it, and don't run the pee out of it[​IMG]

WK

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I would run a compression test and see if they are all pretty close to each other. I think that they should all be within 10% of each other, something like that. If the compression test is good, I would look elsewhere, maybe a valve adjustment, or one thing that is always overlooked, the distributor does wear. If it is using the oil, it might be in need of new rings, but probably needs a head job (new valve stem seals). I would definetaly(?) run a thicker oil, maybe like 20w50, and maybe try that Engine Restore (it is in a silver can), I am told that it works good. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

7. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

thanks all, i'm planning on dropping in a new 350 (found a good price on one online, thanks rocko!) within the year with student loan $$! just need to keep it runnin'....
    later.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Glad I was of some help.. I'm planning on buying from them also.. They have the best selection and prices I've seen yet online.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !