Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my catalytic converter clogged??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Sep 26, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

When I floor the throttle, it seems like it's running out of revs at about 4,000 or so...it just doesn't want to spin faster while creating power. My floor gets warm during drives, and I have a 3" body lift. When sitting at a light after driving about 10 minutes, My Check Engine light will come on and pop a code for running rich. When I start to drive off, it turns off after about 15 seconds. The idle is choppy and I get 12 MPG regardless of throttle input. I used to get 15, I'm not sure what happened. Could this be the converter?

2. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Is my cat clogged??

Give it a laxative.

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Could be hairballs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Hardy harr harr... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I knew I should've put a different title....

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One way to fix it if it's the converter is to cut it out. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But really, try getting the cleaner junk for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A 350 with a truly plugged cat can't get out of it's own way.

If the code is accurate, you are very likely CAUSING your cat to come apart though. Without the proper mixture, you will destroy it. Since you are injected, there's no reason for you to be running rich if it's working correctly.