Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my driveshaft long enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBen, Nov 14, 2002.

1. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, so that title is just asking for abuse... let's hear it.

Anyway, I'm new to CK5, but hope to help on this board as much as I ask... if possible.

I'm in the middle of converting my '74 K5 from a 350/TH350/NP203 to a 383/SM465/NP205. I got the donor parts from a junkyard, except the rear driveshaft. They didn't have one.

They did dig one up for me though that I just picked up this last weekend. Here's the problem though:

I now have the engine/tranny/T-case in.
    The shaft extends to about 42.375" center to center.
    The yoke distance, center to center, is 41.75".

While the shaft will fit at normal ride height, it will be hella close to the end of it's travel. A local shop estimated $150 to lengthen it to fit (Including balance and Spicers).

The question is, do I run it the way I have it, or be smart about it and get it lengthened. Thoughts?

I'm hoping to actually start the engine this weekend... so the time to make the driveshaft decision is drawing near.

BTW: if anyone has any ?'s about the swap, I'd be more than happy to share what I've learned.

Thanks,

-Ben

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i had a girl ask how long my drive shaft was once /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. id say if your gunna do this thing, do it right, not half assed, my dad always told me that when i did my rear 10 to a 12 bolt swap in my truck, and he was right. or you could just put it in and see if it binds, all i can say is if you got that far with your kick ass swap, you might want to get it done right so you dont experience any trouble on the trail, that might ruin your day of wheel'n. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, good luck.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Something is going to give when you hit your first speed bump or dip in the road.

Then you will be looking at more than $150.

Good luck.

BTW: If you do the doubler NOW, you won't have to have your rear driveshaft extended! Ask me how I know! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A very good point.
    I suppose the old rule of "if you have to ask, do it right" applies here.

Thanks for the input!