Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my front diff toast?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suffergauge, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I was driving home tonight and something just didn't feel right, some squeaking, some clanking, pulling... So when I get home I bust out the trusty ol mag light and start lookin. Turns out that some lil punk mofo turned one of my hubs. It wasn't all the way in lock but half way there, and it was super hot. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    How do I check to see if it is roasted? What may have broken? Any help would be killer...

Now if I can only find the punk that did it.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You probably just don't realize how hot your hubs get just driving around town; I doubt that any damage was done to the axle. All that would happen is the spider gears in the diff would spin while you drove home, but ithey're meant to do that. If you're worried about it just pop the cover and take a peak, if anything got hot enough to do damage the spiders would probably be discolored. Check you're wheel bearings at the same time if you want, but those should be fine too. Your hub should be fine, there's really no way that having it locked could break it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If it happened to me, I'd just unlock the hub and take a drive, if there's no wierd sounds then I'd leave it.</font color>

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree with shaggy if the hub was fully engaged.
    I thought you said it wasn't?
    If it wasn't fully engaged, there might have been some grinding on the edge of the gears in the hub, still you should probably be OK but I would take it apart clean it and clean shavings if there is any and regrease.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Iceman has a point, good thing to check. Since there was no load on the diff it would probably be minor damage if anything, but if there's any shavings it should be cleaned. </font color>

5. Suffergauge

Thanks a lot guys. I am still pissed but at least I know, or think I know, that it isn't fried. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Plus this gives me an excuse to pull the cover so I can finally see what gears I have.... must have 35's!

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What do you mean gears?
    You should check the hubs and locking hubs not the gears in the differential.
    Still if you want to you can check the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Suffergauge

I don't know what my gear ratio is, and I want 35's. I don't have those little tags with the ratio stamped on em so I have to pull the cover to see the exact ratio.

I have warn premium hubs so they are pretty strong. I'll have to throw it in 4 wheel and see what she does.