Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my front driveshaft going to last?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Sep 27, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" susp. lift.
    I have a stock front driveshaft. It doesn;t have a bunch of splien engagemjent obviously, but it's been working fine for quite a while now.
    Just today I put on the ORD HD front shackles. I think they are supposed to raise the front by 1/2" or so.
    Well, just using the jack to raise the frame and let the axle droop, I was able to make my front drivehshaft come apart!!!!!
    I put it back together and measured the spline engagement with the axle at rest (you know, just sitting there without any jacks or anything.)
    It only has right at 1 inch engagement now!
    I don;t think the kind of wheeling I do requires major flex. I know I *should* retube the shaft, but I don't have the cash flow right now. PLUS, this weekend the SO and I are supposed to have the inaugural run of the new truck, so I want someone to tell me it'll be OK. I'll carry the 7/16th wrench with me just in case it seperates.
    I fiugre that I'll let off the gas when the susp. droops to prevent twisting the splines. Other than that, I dunno.

On a side note, my truck has been in a state of disassembly since Thanksgiving weekend. I am seriously planning to enjoy myself this weekend :)
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Im using a 1" spacer on my front shaft til I can buy a new one.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The only one I could find was on SUperlift's page.
    But it fits the '77 and up NP205, I believe. My NP205 has a front output yoke, not flange.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...I thought my NP 205 was from a '76 truck. Guess not. It has the flange. Must be a '77, '78, or '79, because it's fixed yoke rear. Is the front flange the same as the one on my NP 208?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, the ^%$^%$ came apart twice. AT least it only takes 10 minutes or so to put it back together. And it came apart on dry trail, not in the mud.
    I'll just have to poney up the $100 to have it reshafted.
    At least my truck finally got some mud on it!
    -- Mike

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

just have it done... think this thought... your wheelin, it comes apart, stickt to a rock... blows out your transfer case... = tow bill of ALOT OF MONEY to get you home, 300 for a new transfer case and 150 for a new driveshaft....

Which is cheaper???