Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my hitch mounted strong enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Jul 10, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I put an old hitch on my F350 and was wondering if the two single bolts through the bottom of the frame are strong enough? I'm always paranoid of things breaking... and don't want these bolts to snap. I used 1/2" grade 8 bolts in all locations and used some 3/8"x2" steel on the top of the frame for extra support. There is 1 bolt at each side through the bottom of the frame, then the hitch runs up to another cross piece that is held on with a bracket with a couple more bolts. The hitch says 1,000 lbs tounge/10,000 trailer weight, and I think it says Class V also.

So how much force would it take to snap the two bolts at the rear of the frame? Would it just rip the frame before they break?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

just my opinion, but I would be suspect of that setup- the frame's rust holes are probably indicative of the strength being compromised, I think it will go before the bolts shear off. Personally, I would have mounted it up, and on top of the lip, rather than under it. Now, those two bolts are not only supporting the 1,000 lb tongue weight, but also the 10,000 pound pulling force. I'd let the frame rails support the tongue weight at least, and add some more bolts. just my 2 cents

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

What's the deal with the rust holes in top of the frame? Did it have a flatbed mounted there? The four bolts are probably plenty strong to do it, but the condition of that frame would worry me more than the bolts shearing off.

4. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Yeah the bolts would be the last of my worries with that setup. :eek1:

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

jesus christ for all things holy man! :eek1: Im so glad my truck has lived its life in california :D how old is that f350? Im gonna go get a tetanus shot now. :p:

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The rust holes are in some thin 1/8" metal that was added on top of the frame to give the flat bed a level place to mount since the frame isn't flat. The truck frame is about an inch below the rusted metal and is in fairly good condition.

The truck is a '76 model.

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

The 1/2-13 bolts max loads are approximately:
    tension - 19,900lb each
    shear - 11,900 each

You will bend the bottom flange on your frame and/or bend your cross member before you brake a bolt.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Awesome, thanks! :wink1: