Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my home 'puter crashing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thatK30guy, Apr 22, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Is my home \'puter crashing?

I'm at work on the school's computers. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Last night I tried to log in, but the screen froze.

I have an IBM 'puter and when it gets turned on, the IBM logo comes up and freezes on the screen.

Wait about 5 minutes and the screen reads, "insert BOOT diskette in drive A."

I inserted a disk and nothing happens. It would read something about an "error blah, blah, blah, and strike any key to continue."

What can anybody tell me about this? I'm no 'puter genuis but I do think the damn thing is crashing. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: Is my home \'puter crashing?

Are you hearing any noises, like small clicking or anything from inside the machine?

Sounds like your hard drive might be toast or the bios doesn't recognize it.

How old is the machine? If it's less than a year, you should be able to get support on it from IBM, if it's less than three years and the hard drive is bad, you can probably get another drive under warranty.

I don't remember the IBM BIOS, but I'd look there first. Someone on here can probably give you a step by step of navigating the BIOS to see if it's autodetecting the drive or not.

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

It sounds like it's taking a dump. Take the cover off and make sure all connections are tight (especially the Hard drive ribbon cable). In fact, disconnect, then reconnect em all. When a PC boots up, it looks to boot from the Hard Drive first, then whatever is next as determined in the BIOS. It sounds like the HD boot is not working so it's looking at the next one on the list, your floppy drive. If your HD is toast, there is not much you can do besides wiping the slate and reinstalling. Not a fun option, but I've had to do it a few times here at work.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try rebooting and as soon as the screenn comes up, press F11. You'll loose all your data, but it'll be like starting over with a new computer. Try that as a last effort thing.