Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my ignition switch about to go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Feb 15, 2002.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

The past few days when I get out to my K5 and when I turn the Key there is a short pause before the starter turns over. Is this because my starts is about to go or the switch is going. The trucks is a 91 k5 350, dual batteries. If there is some kind if tests that I can run let me know. Thanks

brett

91 K5 and 73 Cobalt http://brettmcox.rockcrawler.com

2. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

No test, but a theory.... Remove the access panels and get down to where the column bolts to the dash. Should be two studs coming down from the dash assembly. Above this is the actual "switch" which actuates the started. Check to see if the two little screws which hold the switch to the column are loose, or if the whole switch assembly has slide down the column. If it has moved, then you will get EXACTLY what you are describing. Also check to see if the rod is binding. The "rod" is the small steel rod which goes along the top of the column and moves the switch.

I have rebuilt a couple of columns and in one truck, the switch moved during install and did what you describe. I thought it was because my batteries were relocated to the bed and provided a much longer path for 12V to get to the starter.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked