Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is my lift enough

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FatBoyBlazer, Apr 16, 2002.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

tomorow i'm going to go and pick up some tires they are 36x14.5 15r....iv'e got a 4 inch BDS system with all new springs....is that enough lift??? right now its just a pavement pounder....wth little trimming will they fit.....also i've got the US Wheel White spokes in the back on my 14ff they are 15x10 and the back spacing is 4 I think.......

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I think you will be ok with 36's and a 4". I would recommend mild fender trimming. My friend muddysub has 36 12.50's with some mild fender trimming. I think it works pretty good for him. You can send him a pm or do a search at webshots for "muddysub" and it will bring up the pics of the trimming we did. Hope this helps.

3. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I had 35X12.50's on my truck with a 4" lift and they almost hit my fenders when I had the wheels a full lock. Yours might hit since the tires are wider. You are probably going to want to do some trimming.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah thanks for the plug adam, mine still hit the inners but i don't do a lot of flexin. i'm going to a 3" body lift soon though.

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Do the kinda standard trim job and I think you will be alright on the fenders... what about rubbing on the insides of the tire though? I'm cahnging to the same combo on 16.5's and am a bit concerned about what back spacing to get. Keep me updated once you get them on. thanks

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Trim your fenders... I have 35x14.50s with a 4" lift. It did decent purely on the pavement although I did rub in reverse while turning. Seeing how your tires are a little taller I would imagine they would rub even more, then again I'm not sure how differen't our lifts are. I did have to trim my fenders quite a bit to get to the point where I don't have to worry about any rubbing.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It will definitely depend on what you plan on using the truck for. For just driving on pavement it will probably be okay most of the time, just be careful when pulling into a driveway or parking lot with a steep approach. Some slight trimming would probably take care of any problems on the street.

Off-road on a twisty trail would be an entirely different ballgame. I have a fairly flexy 4" lift, the sway bar unhooked, and 35x12.50's on 10" wide rims. It required a moderate amount of trimming to get the front to to fit without rubbing when fully flexed out and I'm sure it would require some more to fit taller and wider 36x14's on it. Last weekend my friend took his newly finished K5 with a 6" suspension and 2" body lift out with 36x12.50 Swampers on 8" rims and the tires would just barely kiss the back edge of the front fenders. I think that a moderate amount of fender trimming will give you more tire clearnance than, let's say, 2 or 3 more inches of lift.

Overall, I'm sure it can be done if you don't mind a little fender trimming.

8. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

I've got an 83 'burb with 33's and when I'm fully stuffed, They rub bad! It might be my lack of a swaybar. People look at me like I'm gonna take the whole fender off. That's just my experience. I have heard of others with no problem