Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my new 350 burning oil?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I did everything right to break in my brand new GM 350. I changed the oil after the first 500. Then changed it again after the next 1000. I never gassed it hard or nothing during the break in time.
    But the thing is the 350 never makes it to 3000 miles before it needs an oil change. I don't lose any quarts or nothing, but the oil just gets black quick. I'm assuming its b/c I do a lot of city driving than highway. I change it when I see that it needs it, and it is usually about every 1500 miles. The oil is like pretty black.
    Now, I changed it on Saturday morning. Drove 400miles total (highway) to and back from the trail wheeled it about 5 hours total. Checked on Sunday night and the oil is dark colored, not as dark as 1500 miles, but dark. Only 400 miles though. Is this suppose to happen? Especially on a brand new 350 that has only 4000 miles total on it. And yes, I do change the oil filter at every oil change.
    Boss

2. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

as far as i know, it is supposed to burn it...or at least darken the oil alot when you break a brand new one in...
    Kelboski

3. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

It may also depend on the type of oil you are using. Is it cheap? It may be a darker oil to begin with.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

4. What brand of oil are you useing?
    Also is your carb sized right for your motor?
    If your motor burns to rich it will darken the oil also,from
    gas leaking past the rings?
    Just anouther thought hope this helps.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I've ran different types of oil to see if they make a difference. All pretty solid brands. The last one is Penzoil Long Life. Previous ones were Castrol, and Mobil I think. AC Declo oil filters. I think I may be running a tad rich. I know oil is suppose to burn dark and especially during the break in process, but I'm beyond the break in process now. Thanks for the info.
    Boss

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Castrol has one of the highest ash contents, and I am not sure about Penzoil. THis is a totally new engine? My guess is that it is still stuff fropm the break in even though you are past the milege

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Your engine isn't running warm is it? If the temp is OK, then it is probably just residue from the break in. Buy an oil system cleaner additive and try running that through it. It may help loosen up the remaining residue and clean up your oil. Have you thought about running synthetic? That may also help. Later.

Diesel

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.[​IMG]

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you may be running a bit rich. Also what kind of rings did you put in the engine? If they are chrome molly sometimes you have to run the engine pretty hard to make them seat. Aceleration up to 60 or so and sudden deaceleration helps them to seat quicker. Take the it out on a long drive and run it good. Its hard to break in an engine around town.

[​IMG]