Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my power steering pump bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DERBINATOR, Jul 18, 2002.

1. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

Well here is the deal. My power steering was working fine until I did my crossover. Now its not there. When I rev the motor I get some power but at idle theres nothing. I assume its the pump but why would it go bad just because I changed steering boxes???

2. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Did you bleed the system enough? I had to bleed mine alot when I changed my hoses..

3. DERBINATOR

I think I did. What is the right way to bleed the system?

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I had a similar situation arise when I did my crossover setup as well. Mine turned out to be the piston thingy in the pump getting stuck and not letting enough fluid past...I took the thing apart (just take the large nut off and the piston should pop out along with a spring)...if it doesn't pop out, it's probably stuck down there...it happened twice more after that as well...weird. As far as bleeding, I was told just to lift the front tires off teh ground, crank the wheel back and forth a bunch of times with the cap open and then go drive it! Hope you get it figured out, I know how frustrating it was for me!

5. DERBINATOR

Thanks. I did take the piston apart and everything seemed alright. Looked clean and the spring pushed it out. I'll try bleeding it again. I wasn't doing it with the cap off. The motor should be running while turning back and forth right? One other thing I'm unsure with is when the belt is off and the pulley is turned by hand should there be any drag or should it freewheel??? or am I just reaching here

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I'd certainly try taking the output tube off the pump and see if it is still pumping. If you got no steering assist, some part of the hydro aint working (Sorry for stating the obvious).

7. DERBINATOR

I know its a hydro problem but is the pump bad if there is no assisst at idle but there is at higher rpms.

8. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

The best way I have found to bleed is to put the front axle on jack stands so the wheels are just off the ground then turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock. The first couple times check the fluid level, the more you bleed the less you will have to add. I have done it with the cap on and off, didn't notice a difference, the cap should have an air vent.

FYI: I added a small oil cooler to my power steering return line and it never gets too hot when I'm 4wheeling.

9. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

there might not really be any steering assist as the truck moves faster the whell will become easier my 2 c

ps: sorry if im stating the obvious