Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my rear a locking Diff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Peeetah, Oct 4, 2000.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

I have an 81 Jimmy with a 12 bolt diff. The build sheet says it came with a locking diff. How can i make sure it's still on the truck?

2. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

lift the rear and spin the one of the wheels. if they both spin in the same direction you got a locking diff.

go heavy or go home

3. Does that go for the front also? When I'm in 4WD, the truck pulls hard right then hard left then...well you get the picture. Does this mean I have one in the front? I guess I could drain and pull the dif cover off, but even then I would not know what I am looking for

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

4. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I suppose it would work in the front also. The principal is the same, but I don't have a locker in the front so I cannot be positive.

go heavy or go home

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have the factory installed Gov-Lok, when you spin one side (with both rear tires off the ground) the other will spin in the opposite direction just like a standard open diff. If both rear tires do spin the same direction then you definitely have some type of locking differential.