Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my rearend limited slip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74K5CHEYENNE, Jun 7, 2002.

1. 74K5CHEYENNE

74K5CHEYENNE Registered Member

Does anyone know how to tell if I have a limited slip differential. I have a 74 blazer and it is full time 4x4 and it has a dana 44 in the front and a corporate 12 bolt in the back. If you know a website or how to tell what all the #s mean please reply!!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If both tires spin same direction with the rear end up in the air, thats posi/limited slip. Opposite directions open or gov-lock. Only one wheel spins, probably something wrong.

Popping the cover is the surest way to tell if its *not* a true Gm limited slip. Either that, or assuming someone hasn't swapped axles or carriers on you, you'll have to find someone that has a listing of the axle codes that are on the passenger side axle tube (rear axle) facing the front of the vehicle, typically midway between wheel and differential housing.