Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is My Red Top Optima Toast?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 11, 2001.

Not sure If I drained it all the way out, but I left my ingnition in the "on" position last weekend, I was trying to roll up the rear window before I went on our trip. My key can just be pulled out in any position, so I must have left it in that position when I pulled the key out.

Anyway I got home and it was dead, charged it up and got a jump and it fired up, even drove it around for a day, however It sat there for a couple of days after, now it is dead again. I am afraid that I have trashed it by letting it drain out. I just bought the F%$#ing thing.

Do I have any options, I am sure the warrenty does not cover me being a dumb a$$.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Just take it back whar frum ya got it and they prolly won't ask any questions.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Try load testing it before you get too far. It should be covered under warranty, just take it back for replacement.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We were just talking about Optimas - sounds like they will warranty it.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=154394&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5>http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=154394&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5</A>
    My grandpa knew how to get a battery to charge (he could switch the polarity) - I think you need a load on the battery while you are charging..... Your battery is a 'pass through' for your charging system at this point.
    Will it show current when you hook a charger up?
    IMHO one complete drain should not ruin it....

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yah, I would just take it back and tell them that it isnt holding a charge. They should give NO ISSUES, since you just bought it. I think you have a bad battery. Killing it one time , even that dead, it should bounce right back. So go get a new one!!

[image]http://www.darkknight.ca/images/dklogo.gif[/image]
    http://autotronixcaraudio.com

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I'd do the same as the rest have suggested. Just take it back and tell them it doesnt hold a charge, you dont even have to tell them you drained it. The battery says right on it "36 Month Free Replacement". You shouldnt have a problem. And yes killing one time shouldnt cause it to not charge again, you can even drain a regular battery and it will still hold a charge once you chrarge it up again.

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I used to sell these batteries. I also used to take the "bad" ones that people would bring in for warranty, and just give them a long slow charge,... and down the road i'd go with a perfect battery. So..... i'd just put it on a slow charge for a day or so, and see what happens. BTW, NAPA sells the same battery under their name for alot less.

New '90 K5 sitting in my driveway !!! YIPPPIEE !!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Disconnect your battery and put it on a 2 amp trickle charge for 24 hours. Then disconnect the charger and let the battery sit for 3 hours. After that, test the battery voltage with a digital volt meter. If it is holding a 100% charge, the volt meter will give a reading of *12.63 volts. If it is less than that, then post what you got and I will look up your reading on my chart and tell you the percent of charge.

Note to everyone. The alternators in our vehicles are designed to MAINTAIN a charge. If you use the vehicle alternator to charge a dead battery, you are committing alternator abuse! All the manufacturers warn not to do this. Use a battery charger. I bought a new Optima Red Top in December, and in March, my alternator failed. It turned out that my Optima was defective, only holding a 50% charge (12.15 volts) and after 3 months of my alternator working overtime, the constant charging caused my alternator to fail. I got a new Optima on warranty, but the cost of the alternator came out of my pocket. Putting an indash digital volt meter connected directly to my battery is now on my To-Do list. This will allow me to accurately check the condition of my battery every morning before I start the engine. I will also know at a glance, exactly what my alternator is putting out, which should be between 14 and 14.5 volts.

* In the morning, my Optima is usually 12.59 to 12.60. I think this is due to my alarm system being on overnight, and the small amount of juice required to maintain the digital clock. A friend of mine has a relatively new Optima, and he has no clock or alarm. His Optima is 12.70 volts in the morning. He, apparantly, has got a really strong one.

Good Luck.

OK, here's the chart:

BATTERY CAPACITY CHART
    % is Remaining Capacity.
    Temperature at 77 degrees F.

100% - 12.63 volts
    90% - 12.54 volts
    80% - 12.45 volts
    70% - 12.36 volts
    60% - 12.27 volts
    50% - 12.18 volts
    40% - 12.09 volts
    30% - 12.00 volts
    20% - 11.91 volts
    Dead - 11.82 volts or less

Make a copy of this chart and save it. It really comes in handy.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Gandolf on 06/12/01 01:52 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is cool Gandolf - thanks.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

9. Yeah, thanks Gandolf! I will try that when I get home tonight.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Then disconnect the charger and let the battery
    sit for 3 hours.

Where did you get this from ? Is it an opinion ?
    Can you please post the source ?
    Thanks

11. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

The source of the chart is a book called:

RV Electrical Systems, A Basic Guide to Troubleshooting, Repair and Improvement. by Bill and Jan Moeller

I bought my copy of this book from an RV Dealer a few years ago and it is an excellent informational book. It covers many topics including batteries, alternators, circuits, wiring, circuit protection, chargers, isolators, etc. It also has lots of info on RV AC systems for motorhomes and trailers, including AC circuits, campground hookups, inverterrs, generators, solar power, etc.

"Then disconnect the charger and let the battery sit for 3 hours"...this comes from things I've read and my own experience. Batteries are charged at higher voltages and this extra voltage is held by the battery for a period of time, but it does bleed off. You can see this for yourself. After driving your vehicle for an hour or so, get a digital volt meter ready and put it on the battery immediately after you shut the engine off. Then watch the meter. Initially, it will most likely show 13+ volts, and you will see the extra volts start dropping off. It takes a period of time for the battery to bleed off this extra voltage and settle into the voltage that it going to finally stay at. This can take a few hours, but with my Optima, it seems like after 3 hours, the reading I get is the same as the reading I get many hours later. I wouldn't be surprised, if all batteries bleed off the excess voltage at different rates. I think after 3 hours though, you will get an accurate, reliable reading. Did this answer your question?

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

12. Executioner

I think after 3 hours though, you will get an accurate, reliable reading. Did this answer your
    question?

Yes, thank you
    FYI the industry standard is 24 hours to let the battery sit with no charge/discharge(i.e. open circuit)

13. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Not that i need to say this..... but what Mark is refering to is "surface charge" And he is correct here.

New '90 K5 sitting in my driveway !!! YIPPPIEE !!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

14. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Surface Charge...YES, I couldn't remember the techno term. Thanks Tori.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

15. Executioner

Not sure I follow you
    Are you saying surface charge only last 3 hours ?

16. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

From the RV Electrical Systems book I referred to above:

"A fully charged battery at rest, in which no recharging or discharging has occurred for 24 hours, has a voltage of 12.63 volts; a fully discharged battery has a voltage of 11.82 volts, a span of slightly less than 1 volt. During the charging process, the battery reaches a false-high, surface-voltage reading, which is not the same as the reading obtained after the battery has rested."

All batteries have their own individual characteristics. I'm saying my Optima looses the surface charge after 3 hours. Before you ask...this is based on my testing my new Optima battery at least 15 times to make sure my replacement Optima wasn't defective like my original one was. I tested it at various times after driving a minimum of one hour, and my test instrument is a Fluke model 73III. At no time did I observe the voltage go lower, after 3 hours. Other batteries may behave differently, and to be absolutely sure, i am assuming the industry uses 24 hours as the standard, because they have never observed any battery taking longer than 24 hours to loose the surface charge.

My recommendation to AZBlazeMan, to test after 3 hours, was because if he was already below 12.63 volts after 3 hours, that mean't his battery had a problem. After 3 hours, a good battery will show 12.63 volts or more.

Note: My bad Optima that would settle in at 12.15 volts after 8 hours, never held surface voltage above 12.63 volts for more than a half hour.

17. Executioner

ah, ok I think I understand you !
    Thank for clearing it up......
    24/3=12.63-11.83