Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is my sm465 shot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sean'schevy, Nov 19, 2004.

1. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

ok i just got done putting swamping to a sm465 and a divorded np205 both used. i did a new clutch and flywheel fluid in both and all the other stuff. I drove truck today for first time and every thing seemms great when im going slow first starting off then i hear this horrible gring noise when im in any gear and off the throttle. But when i punch it dont hear grinding at all. even if i am driving and take it out of 3d to coast and put it in netural i hear grinding noise. But if im at a complete stop i hear no grinding. i think the trans is shot noise sound like its comming from there as well. but it guess it could be the tcase as well. but i checked and its in 2 wheel high.(going to try other gears in tcase tommorow just to rule out the noise is in the trans). i thought the 465s were usually tough did i just get a bad one someone destroyed or did i do anything wrong. sorry for all the info but was wondering if u guys ever had something like this happen. also how much will it be to rebuild around.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

nice looking truck.

so you have a divorced np 205? what is that out of?
    the 465 can be noisy on deceleration, heck they are noisy most of the time.

3. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

may sound silly but while its makeing the noise lift up on the stick ever so slightly ill bet the stick is rattleing like mine does and i havent fixed mine yet but there is a repair kit to fix sloppy stick

willow

4. sean'schevy

the 205 is out of a old dodge 32 spline in all the yokes. this noise is not just a little loud its seriously nasty kinda grinding that will make ya flinch and cringe. My friends got a 465 in his jeep that we put in witha 350 moter and i know his trans makes some noise but nothing like this. sounds like gears are grinding apart. sort of like if u grinded a gear while shifting but constant. im afraid that somethings gonna explode down there.

5. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Drain the fluid and pull the pto covers off and take a look.

6. sean'schevy

ok well i think i narrowed the noise down to the tcase. when i got the tranny all alone not hooked to the tcase it doesnt make noise in any of the gears. then i hooked the driveshaft up to to trans to tcase and i hear the noise only in 4th gear(im just letting the clutch out in the gears and truck is at about 1200 rpms.) so i think when the tcase spins faster the louder it gets. so i took apart the 205 partially and all the gears and bearings look good and tight. what gives i cant figure it out. ant ideas what it could be. im going to try my freind idea and rubber mount the tcase to see if that does it. but i dont think it will. any ideas anyone. it looks like i might have to take the tcase somewhere next if i cant figure this out. thanks