Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my starter dying?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Mar 27, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Yesterday I got in my blazer to go home from my buddys apartment. I turned the key but the truck didnt even try to crank. I thought the battery might be dead but the lights came on and the stereo came on. Crawled under the truck and tapped the starter and the relay a few times with a rubber mallet. I then had my buddy crank it and it started right up. Since then I have started it several times with no problems.

So is my starter dying or what?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

More than likely your starter solenoid is dying. Take the starter off, clean all the crap out of it, replace the solenoid and you should be good to go.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

definitly sounds like the solenoid. Just swap in a new one and you're good to go. Depending on what starter you have, you can pick up a new solenoid for 20bucks.

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Isnt there a mod you can do to move the solenoid to the fender and away from the starter? This seems like a good time to do it. I'm gonna have to do a search on this.

5. stewburban

stewburban Registered Member

or if is not the solenoid try the brushes the wear out. Try solinoid and brushes..

6. 1bigbob

1bigbob Registered Member

I just bought a new starter from advance auto parts for $29 Mine was doing the same thing and finally took a crap. Luckily I was at home when it happened.

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 77's starter has been dying for quite some time now. If its warm, you hit the key, and it just goes CLICK, no cranking. Click it a few times, and it'll start up.

I've got a spare starter in the box, along with a few tools for when it finally dies :)