Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my starter going bad? or what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Feb 22, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have an 8-month old battery in my blazer and lately she won't start up sometimes. But if I wait a little while and try again, it fires up. I checked the voltage on the battery, and the battery is fine. What do you think is causing it?

Matt

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I ahd this same problem. I never figured out what it was. One time while I was trying the ground that goes from the battery lead to the front clip burned all its housing off it got so hot. I wasn't sure if that was the cause of all my troubles but I replaced it with a good heavy wire just in case. My battery is only a couple months old(3 at the most) and i have the same problem.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Is this after it has been running then shut down? Could be that famous chevy starter heat soak.

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ive got something similar to that also, but i think its heat soak from my headers, every morning, it will start up like a champ, but if I go somewhere for a little bit and go to start my truck without it getting a chance to really cool off, its slow to crank, ust like my battery is low. The battery is a fairly new optima so i figure I need to get a heat shield for my starter

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ahh yes I didn't even think of heatsoak. Thats odd cause I Am running stock size piping down to my cats. I am puting headers on in a week or so me thinks its time for a heat shield. I was going to go buy an Optima I was getting sick of it.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

buy a remote solenoid and check your timing. and if it still does it, i would go to a mini starter. this is what i had to do on my 79 because it would never start quite right after it was warm till i had the remote solenoid and got the mini. seems to work pretty good. the only trouble i had was after going through some deep water, the solenoid got wet and wouldnt let it restart, so i sprayed it with WD-40 and it fired right up. but i guess that could also happen to n e other soenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

NITRO

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ahh yes I didn't even think of heatsoak. Thats odd cause I Am running stock size piping down to my cats. I am puting headers on in a week or so me thinks its time for a heat shield. I was going to go buy an Optima I was getting sick of it.

[/ QUOTE ] On my 64 Impala SS with the 327, Stock exhaust system. I had the problem with heatsoak starter. So even with stock exhaust, it can still be a problem.

8. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it only happens if I try to start it like an hour or less after its been running. When I try to start it first thing in the morning when the engine is cold, it fires right up. I forgot to mention I just put headers on it not more than a month ago. And I never had this problem before I put them on. By the way, what exactly is "heat soak"?

Matt

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

heatsoak is where the solenoid gets hot from the headers. and in electric applications heat=resistance. so your starter/solenoid acts like one big ass resistor. thats y it turns over slow.

NITRO

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what exactly is "heat soak"?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I didn't read through whole thread, but I do want to reply to this.
    Heat soak is the act of the starter/starter solenoid absorbing heat from the exhaust that runs way too close to it anyway.
    A starter and starter solenoid, being electrical, become less efficient the hotter they get. The electrical resistance gets higher the hotter it gets, which is bad.
    I put a heat shield on my starter - I got mine from summit (maybe it was JEGS) for about $20. It is no thing more than a piece of metal that goes between the starter and the exhaust (it bolts to the starter body, with about an inch air gap) and it reflects heat and insulated the starter/solenoid from the heat.
    It is not a cure-all, but it is a very good band aid.
    -- Mike

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check your battery cables first. Make sure the + cable isn't burned up. Make sure the terminals aren't corroded also. I've found a lot of corrosion right where the negative cable attaches to the battery will make it tough to turn over the engine. I realized this was my problem when i tried to start the engine a few times and when it wouldn't start i started inspecting what was wrong, and my ground strap was hot to the touch, just too much resistance with the corrosion on the terminals.
    Disconnect both cables and check em with an ohm meter just to elimate your battery cables as a cause of the problem.

12. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I'd say check the cables.Had ground trouble on camper,drove me crazy till I found it.Would turn over slow,not really like heat probs.If cables are good heat soak is good place to start. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifZ3PR I had 64 SS convertible years ago with 396,400Turbo.Wish I still had it.Hind site is 20-20 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Checking/cleaning the cable connections is a good idea. It's one of those things that even if it's not the cause, it's good maintenance.

I hate replacing the stock cables with aftermarket (at least side terminals, GM just makes or made better ones), but of course if strands are broken, it will need replaced, which is usually pretty hard to tell.