Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is My Tranny OKAY???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Dec 11, 2005.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Hey lately my 89 blazer with a rebuilt 350 tbi and 700r4 will not have reverse after a short while of being fired up or even drive for that matter but when i first start it i have everything till it warms up like 2-5min later then it just revs up and no forward or reverse. im afraid of the possibility that its time to get a new tranny any ideas or am i just better off getting it rebuilt. also if i do get it rebuild could you recommend any upgrades that could be done to it like clutches or the servo thing thanks for any input. :(

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Drop the pan and make sure the filter hasn't fallen off or is plugged.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

low fluid level...

If its low on fluid by a quart or so it will lose drive and reverse when its cold,and while going around a corner you might notice a momentary loss of drive...once it warms up,the fluid expands some,and the symptoms go away..the filter is a possibility too as suggested already..it might have fallen off..if it were clogged the tranny usually makes a whining siren type noise,like a power steering pump low on fluid does..

You might have the wrong dipstick in it,and its fooling you into thinking its full,but it really isn't..

Of course,it could be the pump is croaking,or any one of 100 other internal valves or clutches are stuck,worn,etc..hope the TV cable was adjusted properly..700R4's die quick if they aren't..:crazy:

4. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys heres a bit more on the situation
    first the motor was freshly rebuilt last summer and installed by me and also when i bought the blazer on my 18th bday i was told that it had some sort of a shift kit in it along with a receiet for the rebuilt tranny probaly about 60,000km ago. the truck will move and even try to burn out with its posi in it when its first fired up and i have heard a new noise when it idles coming from probaly the tranny. ive checked the fluid and its a little bit over full on the dip stick but nothing to worry about i was told. also 7 months ago i had a tranny flush done to it and now the oil does have a slight darker tinge to it like bands burnt. so what can i really expect from it now??? currently i parked it in my garage till i know what route i have to go thinking the worse would be a rebuild but whats that gonna cost me?? thanks again