Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is my truck lifted

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Jan 14, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i have an85 blazer mostly stock i want to lift the truck but i am concerned that it my already be lifted and i do not wantto spend 500 bucks on a 4 inch lift if it does nothing as far as i can tell the springs are stock the front is a negitive arc 2 pac and the rear has five leaves the reason why i belive somthing is already there is i am running 35x12.50s and every thing ive read says even with a 4" lift you will still need to trim a little i only had to cut the very edge of the bottom lip ive also heard that a few trucks came from the factory with a 2" lift already if this is true how do you check. plus i heard that 35s will fit on the thuck if you use 8 inch rims witch is what i have ive gone to the local 4x4 shop and the guy there said the factory lift idea is bs. one of the other reasons i think the truck my allready be lifted is it looks higher than most of the other stock blazers isee around here most with 33s any help would be greatly apprecieated sorry i cant spell for schidtz

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

The front springs you describe are stock. Never heard of Blazers coming from the factory w/ a lift.

John

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It sounds like there is a body lift on yer rig.
    There is no factory lift, you have the stock suspension.

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

no no body lift yet

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my k5 has 33s on it with stock front suspension, the tires fill the front wheel wells. Only time it has really rubbed was when I ran over some woman's car(don't ask). But I know 35s would rub constantly and everywhere. Sure the spring mount at the back of the front springs isn't longer? No blocks under the back? Sure you read the tire right? Did you read the tire or just going by what someone told you?

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

no blocks stock shackels as far as i can tell and i just bought the tires it came with 31x10.50s to small bought 33x12.50s have a lead right foot so they didnt last long and said skcrew it lets go bigger i had the room tires only rub under full articulation witch dosent happen much since i only play in the mud and swamp

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, like Powermad said, the previous owner may have installed a body lift. There is no way that my truck will fit 35's without fender trimming, and it sits on a 4" suspension lift.

John

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

no body lift sitting on factory rubber thanks anyway ive gone over this thig through and through i cant figure uot why i can fit 35s my friend has a 79 cj-5 we just put a 3 inch body lift on it and it just now sits as high as my truck and he has 33s

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Pull out a tape measure. Some brands of tires may say 33" or 35" but the actuall measurement could be much smaller. My buddy got a set of tires from the local tire shop and they were supposed to be 35" tires but the tape said that is was closer to 32". He took them back.

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Got pics?
    My rig ran fine till I took it wheelin and then I had to do a hammer lift.
    33x12.5's on the stock Rally's
    I don't see how 35's would fit with just the bottoms trimmed.

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ill check but when i bought them i rolled the new tires up next to my worn down 33bfgs and there was at least a 3" differance

12. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

working on the pics tolazy to drag out the new digital camera

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Damn if I had a dig cam I would be going stupid with it.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It was a shot in the dark. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Old pre KM and KO BFG's ran short. My new KM run right at 35 inches unloaded.
    I could not clear the old style BFG MT on a stock 79 with out clipping the fenders. I ran BFG 32's with 4 inches of lift and under full flex I could scrub all four tires.
    Depdog and Rusty run 38's and 39.5s with 4 inches of lift and major trimming.
    I added a little lift and ORD Zero rates both ends and a 1 inch body and clear 35's front axle moved forward 1 inch, my inner front fenders are still in the stock location and uncut.
    Get us pictures of your springs and a side shot of your truck. Your question is too open ended without a pictures. As you can see from my many examples above that there is so many variables that it's hard to answer your question with out seeing it.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd say no suspension lift sence you said the front springs have a negitive arch. I got my 6" lift for just under $500.00, and really like it. I'd say go with a 6" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i agree with sandman , i picked up some used 35's to
    put on my truck till i can afford new ones. well they
    looked small so i measured them , and with about a half
    inch of tread left they only measure 32 1/2 ". i was
    like , W.T.F . LOL. the tire says 35x12.50x15.

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

39.5's that measure at 38.25" on the truck at 20 psi. 4" susp and 1" body, front diff moved forward 1.25". I'm trimmed back to the firewall/floor and I plan on getting it crossed up later this week on our club ramp. I'll be able to check where it hits (or if it hits) and see how the A-tron anti-wrap bar does.

I've never heard of a factory lift either. The 2 leaf negative arch is definitely the stock issue. I suspect you still have the sway bar connected, narrow rims with plenty of backspace and smallish 35's...

I have a set of General Grabber MT's...35x12.5" and they measure 33 1/2". My old 33" bfg's came in under 31"...

The sidewall lies 90% of the time.

Rene

19. 468ratman

468ratman Registered Member

I have the same setup as you do, totally stock.

I am running 33x12.50r15 bfg a/t's. Mine are the old style before the KO thing, and they are about 31 inches tall and clear without a problem. They are close though and I don't think 35's would fit on my 89.

20. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

okay i measured the tires and they are 341/2" so the side wall is prety aqurate im still working on the pictures i cant seem to post them /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif