Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is My Used Car Trailer Worth $1000... ???

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by rigdonhome, Jul 11, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

After years of searching for a good used trailer, I came across this one about a year ago and have well-used it ever since. However, cash is really tight right now. I have kept it because I've been using it to haul parts/vehicles that are bringing in cash right now.

I see used trailers go for WAY too much all the time, usually near what a new one goes for. So I figure I'll post my trailer and if I can get what I want out of it fine, if not, I'll hang onto it.

It has mobile home axles under it with 14.5 tires. No suspension. Unlimited load capacity as far as I can tell... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I thought I had it overloaded with scrap from two stripped 4x4's, but it towed fine so I figure it is safe to haul any complete vehicle you can fit on it. I probably had 6,000 pounds of scrap on it and have hauled 5,500 pound vans on it, so...

It is a little short, but just about exactly long enough to haul a full-size truck or van. I have hauled a couple of full-size Chevy Vans on it, and they fit exactly on it with one wheel on each corner. Plenty of room for the average car.

The bed is made of some sort of rock-hard old wood that looks rough, but is still very solid. Like I said before, I've driven two full-size vans over it with no problems.

All the lights work, although the wiring looks terrible. I have just never gotten around to making it 'look nice'... It works fine, so what the heck. Wiring is a 6-prong standard plug which includes power for the brakes.

It has brakes on one axle that I have never hooked up. They were disconnected when I bought it, and I have never taken the time to pull the drums off to see why. They may work fine if connected, or at the very worst they would need rebuilt.

I figure $1000 is the cheapest I've ever seen a full-size car trialer with this kind of capacity, and it costs like $200 to rent a U-Haul for the day so it should be worth $1000, eh? Overall it's a used trailer in good condition. Looks a little rough, but I'm not asking new price eh?

I guess I'm looking for opinions about the price, and if someone walked up with cash I would probably let it go.

I'll post pics when the weather clears up outside and I can get some decent photos. PM me or email me K5@RigdonHome.com if you want detailed photos of anything in particular...

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Cheers,
    Scott

Added Pics: Stuff on trailer is negotiable!!! Currently the wood blocks over the rear axle are set up to haul a Small Block Chevy. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You can see it has heavy safety chains and uses a 2-5/16" ball. Was definitely made for heavy use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Let's look at it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ...we're kinda in the market for a trailer.

3. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let's look at it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ...we're kinda in the market for a trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot, I'm in Indianapolis! Location, location, location! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers,
    Scott