Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is my Water Pump crapping out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Oct 27, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    I'm driving and notice my theromstat is maxed out (i m mean, totally to the right). I had also been noticing for the last week that there is a hidious squeal coming from the engine when I accelarate quickly. So after that, and todays themo deal, I decided to check the manual....I've come to the conclusion that its the water pump, but should I replace the themostat first and flush the rad before I start to replace the water pump....Or, is it the water pump for sure. Seems to me that replacing the pump isn't a big deal, but, of course, I don't want to do it if it dones't need to be done...
    Thanks in advance
    Marc

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what does the coolant look like? what year and engine? a little more info could possibly help..but id say if you dont know how old the waterpump is, you could replace it for safetys sake..

3. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Yes Yes,the engine, its a 305 (in a 72 K5). Right now I m actually trying to assertain more about the engine (codes, date manufactured) when I have to inevitably order a new pump. Your probably right, replace it anyway as I' m almost positive its never been done before....
    Marc

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

try taking the belt off, and spin the waterpump by hand, if it makes a lot of noise...time to replace it..

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

usually that noise you are hearing is the death wine of the bearing, next the seal will go and it will start leaking Coolant.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Quickly followed by failure of the bearing and the fan eating the radiator which is (pocketbook willing) quickly followed by replacement of radiator, fan, and water pump when all that was needed was a $16 water pump.