Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is primer tough enough?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by XHitman396, Dec 12, 2004.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

im going to put on my replacement front left fender, and just want a matte finish on the inside engine compartment, first, id rather just go over it with some grey primer, kinda the truck color, so it wont look totally ghetto, cuz the paint i have is very glossy, will it hold up against the elements very well, or should i find some matte finish pain for that, cuz it wont be re-painted. i used it on the cab too, will it hold up for a couple years? its the rust preventer or whatever from Krylon. and is the black primer that comes on a reman. fender good enough primer for the outside to last a couple years against the elements until i can afford a paint job, or should i go over it with something else to make it last a little longer? thanks guys, and let me know if any of this didnt make sense...

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'd slap a rattle can of Rust-Oleum "rusty metal" primer on there just to be safe. It's not extremely cheap, but only a couple bucks a can and it will hold up well until you can give it a real paint job. I haven't used Krylon stuff very much so I couldn't tell you how it will work, but I have had good experiences with the Rust-Oleum stuff.

3. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I dont know about newer primers, but I heard that primer is not waterproof.
    I would throw a coat of paint on just in case.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Epoxy primer is waterproof, lacquer based is not.

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so ill be ok with a good epoxy primer and a little spray can style paint?