Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is roof strong enough for rack??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, May 15, 2001.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I've been gradually restoring and mildly modifying a recently purchased '71 K5 that I use as a daily driver. I want to design a steel roof rack that can carry a couple spare tires (31x10.50's). But is the fiberglass roof strong enough?? The roof is in excellent condition, and I'd hate to destroy it.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

If the load is spread properly, I think the roof would be strong enough. I wouldn't do it, though. You're just inviting more leaks into the cabin. A previous owner (or maybe two) installed a rack on my Blazer's roof before. There are two separate sets of holes in my roof and they used to leak like sieves. I had to sand the roof down and apply fiberglass over the bondo plugs they put into the holes. It was a mess because there are at least 6 coats of paint on the roof (and whomever put the paint on didn't bother to clean the roof, so it has leprosy).

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I've got one on my 71 single walled top.The previous owner put it on.lt's ended up cracking my top at all 4 corners,No leaks though as I believe they are only superficial cracks.
    [​IMG]
    You can clearly see the cracks in this pic.2 more identical ones on the other side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

4. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I have hair line cracks in my single wall top in the same places, and I don't have a rack. Nice truck! I like the color.

5. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Thanks for replies... I don't think I'll opt for the rack just yet. I can imagine the weight of the wheels would cause the roof to crack, especially after enduring hours of Nevada washboard.

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

your top will develop cracks a;ong the seems they all do it.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s