Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is running a spooled front a no-no?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Apr 29, 2002.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 60 front and the truck will be driven off road only, will a spool make it impossible to steer? thx for your input, j.c.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

from what i have seen, yes. but if you dont mind unlocking a hub all the time, or having a spectator do it, then you wont mind....
    /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    grant

3. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

has anyone done this?

4. BigBri

BigBri Registered Member

Unless your planning on going straight all the time or unlocking one of your hubs when your planning on turning.A better way to go would be a gear type limited slip unit such as a detroit true trac, it gives awesome traction, i'ts quiet, and theres no clutches in it to burn out like other clutch type L.S.D's.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Not to sound like a jerk, but if this guy is thinking about a spool then a limited slip or posi is definately NOT going to cut it. i would think a locker (detroit is the best) but a drop it type like a lock right will work best for you (i think) it just depends on the $$.detroit ~$5-600 + intsall if you dont know how to do it, and drop in type $2-300. and easy as pie to install if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. i have welded spider gears in the back and even that is sometimes a chore to turn, i could only imagine it fully locked in the fron----turning w/ a locker WILL be worse than what you have now (open) but the locker does give and lets you turn easier.

Just my $.02

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, the truck will be VERY hard to steer, you will not be happy with it! I have an ARB up front, and when an ARB is locked, it IS a spool...it does not differentiate like a Detroit or other lockers. It remains fully locked just like a spool until you switch it off. Let me tell you, when I have it locked, turning is pretty much out of the question. As soon as I switch it off, I can turn fine. Now, I don't think this has anything to do with it (except when flexed of course), but up to this point I have had the stock steering setup. Just this past weekend I swapped to a D60 also with ARB, and swapped to the crossover setup - so we will see if there are any changes. I suspect there won't be ANY changes unless I am flexed up...

Anyhow, bottom line is unless you wheel in huge open fields or don't mind constantly pulling 10 point turns, a front spool wouldn't be such a wise decision! And also remember, that when you are fully locked like that, you put a LOT of stress on the axle components when turning, so not only will you be having a tough time turning, but you will be risking additional breakage! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Just my .02, but that's why I see the ARB as such a great investment!

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are running mud only (mud bogs and the like) and have Popeye arms (no matter how u got them/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif) then it will be a good choice.

if one or both those conditions are not met, it will be a waste of time money and broken axles.

just my two-bits...