Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is she ready for the trails?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Feb 23, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Here is my ride, think she is ready for the trails? I am going to be doing some minor off roading, stuff you might need 4H at most, maybe a little playing in the mud, is she rready??

She is sittin on 32" ( I think) with a 6" lift (I think) I just bought and that is what is what I was told, I cant find any tire markings, and havent had time to measure them.

Will she be fine for what I want to do? I noticed the axels only sit about 10 inches off the ground, go no deeper than that for mudding right? How deep can I go?

[​IMG]

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Either those are bigger than 32s or you do not have 6 inches of lift.

Here is mine with 4" and 37s. This was before I cut the fenders so it has the same shape as yours.
    [​IMG]

Ira

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I noticed it has 4" blocks, so I am thinking it might be only a 4" lift, unless they added a leaf? I have no idea. I will take a pic from the side so its easier to see.

I definetly want to get 35's on it, do I need more lift or will that be fine?

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I does look closer to 32s and 4" to me but I am no expert.

Ira

5. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmm. If I wanted more lift, what would be my best bet, new leaf springs? I am working on the carb right now as I type, it was burning rich, and my mechanic is going to fix my steering later today, and if everything is rosey then I am going to take it up to the lake. ( it rained today! )

So how deep of mud can I go in befrore I need to worry? My axels are about 10" off the ground..

6. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Hard to say how deep the mud can be before it is too deep....I would guess go as deep as you want, and when something breaks, it's too deep! :doah: :doah: :doah:
    I have done stuff that was past my axle shafts in my truck with no problem,(I have 35x12.50x15 Mud Rovers with no lift, but LOTS of trimming) and all I have is a 10bolt front and 12 bolt rear axles....just food for thought.

Best lift, ALL SPRING, do not use lift blocks! I have seen them break, and even heard of them slipping out of their mounts....all spring is best, with a shackel flip on the rear even better.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Where ya gonna find deep mud in Phoenix in an area we can actually play in ? :wink1:

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

9. pauly383

You need to read the forums here more often . For the wheeling crowd , especially in AZ , you want little lift and big tires . Usually with fender trimming .

Try 4-6 inches of lift , NO BLOCKS , and preffereably rear shackle flip :thumb:

You can go as big as you want , but the really tall trucks never seem to go on any trips to wheel with us . They are usually just street trucks .

10. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

This 79 is straight wheeling, I couldnt afford the gas for a DD. Was that kit blocks?

Should I get the leaf springs? Those are like 2 inches? I am new to the whole truck thing so I dont know alot..

11. pauly383

Blocks are EVIL , period .

12. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

What you were looking at that was so cheap was just the hardware. It didnt have the actual lift. It was just u-bolts and a few other things. Like was stated earlier, try to avoid blocks and stick with springs all around or you could do a shackle flip in the rear.

If you want to lift 6", you would have to do a full 6" spring kit since you have blocks in the rear. A good cheaper way would be to get bigger tires (35-37") and trim the fenders.

13. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get some 6" Tuff Country front srpings, drop pitman arm (or a raised arm), rear shackle flip (HERE or HERE ), 6" shackles, zero rate add-a-leaf, and 35's. That will get you into plenty of trouble.

14. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

So Rear Shackle Flip? Its about 189 for the shackles, then get the 6" springs for the front? Can I do that with my current tires, then upgrade those later?

Damn, its pricey for springs! So I cant go out on my blocks? Or will I be fine for a while til I can afford the springs? Those springs cost more than what I paid for the truck :eek1:

I want 35's on it but have to hold off on those,

But anyways, as she is right now, is it okay to take it out to do minor stuff, like tiny hills and bumps, nothing toooo serious? I really want to take it out this weekend, I just bought her and I am anxious!

15. bigblaza

bigblaza Registered Member

You'll be fine with blocks for now. But in the long run springs are the way to go. When you get a full suspension lift the springs are usually a bit tougher and there are more "leaf"s in the springs, plus most systems give you new shocks and all that, blocks just use your stock equipment and lift that. Personally, I just saved up till I could afford the full suspension system but You can get a 6" lift with all springs for under $750 new. But if you are just screwing around till you get enough dough for better equipment, you'll be fine.

16. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've never wheeled in arizona, but if it's anything like texas you should be well equipped to have a lot of fun. you won't be "hardcore", but you'll be surprised at what even a stock rig can do. since yours is slightly upgraded, with decent driving skill, you can do plenty of cool stuff. don't fear mud, either. as long as your tires have traction, they'll pull axles through the slop. however, if you hit a huge set of ruts and hang the axles completely, you're SOL and 33, 35, 37, whatever inch tires won't save you, then. get a winch or a buddy and a towstrap.

mine is stock height, open 10 bolts with 31s, right now, and i make hjeep guys question what "trail rated" really means. haha. have fun, man

17. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Awesome, thanks man. I love mud, I would take my honda in the mud sometimes, and get it covered, I had no traction but it was fun :D

I am going to save up and eventually do a full spring lift, maybe 6-10" with 35's would look really nice. I am working on the engine right now, rebuilding the carb, and I am looking into headers and a RV cam for more tourque and power. I can't wait, I am like a little kid at christmas with my k5 right now. I get home from work at 12 am and see it in my driveway and just wanna hop in and go drive it around cause its soo much fun. :wink1:

18. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

when you do go out, make sure that you go with somebody! There's nothing worst than going out by yourself and getting stuck and having to hike out and call for help. Invest in a High-Lift Jack and go have fun. When it come to your lift, if you are a patient person then buy a little here and a little there. And above all, dive into this board and soak up as much knowledge as you can (but there is nothing like gear grinding metal crunching experience to teach us life's lessons :D ).
    Oh, and you will quickly become an addict like the rest of us :doah: .

19. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Ok well I talked to my mechanic, he said the reason my steerring sucks is cause of the blocks up front, he reccomended a suspension lift, also I am putting a new steering arm on, they lifted it but left the stock arm on and its all messed up now.

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So you have blocks on the front axle? You need to park that thing now and fix the suspension. Blocks are not designed to take the side loads seen on a front axle and they like to depart there current place of residence. This in-turn with cause you to soil your britches.

Ira