Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is someone trying to scam me?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekquistk5, Oct 25, 2006.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Guys heres the story, I recieved an email from autotrader saying someone is interested in my truck so I email the guy. He responds to me with this

Greetings Jesse….
    Thanks for the email. I am actually making this enquiry for our son in-law (Mr.David ), who is interested in purchasing your vehicle and will need itt to be delivred to him in two weeks time from now.He left to ENGLAND because of the death of his only daughter (who passed away last week)for the burial arrangements.
    Kindly permit me to ask few things about the condition of the vehicle although it's all stated in the A.D but I need to know the exact state or condition of the vehicle presently, how many miles is on it presently?
    Any mechanical fault? Any accident history? Has it ever been re-painted? What of the engine and please state your firm and also your early response will be highly appreciated.
    He (my in-law) will like to view the current interior and engine pics, if available? I am looking forward in working with you hoping that you won’t let me or disappoint me down either now or in future.
    Thanks and God bless you,

I gave him the details specs and what not, then he responded to me with this

Hello Jesse,
    After my conversation with my in-law(Mr David) Am happy to inform you that My in-law(Mr.David)is so thrilled about the condition of the vehicle as you stated,and ask me to plea with you to hold to our offer and stop entertaining offers,about this particular vehicle and consider it sold,Please I will have to meet with him to finalize all the necessary arrangement about the payment/shippment of the property in question.
    I will get back to you as soon as I have finalized the everything with him. He also stated that the vehicle would be shipped to his home country (ontario)Canada.
    Thanks and God bless you,

I then responded I will not hold it until or disclose the vehicle location until I receive CASH or recieve a certified cashiers check, and the check clears. He then responded to me with this

Hello Jesse,
    I have discussed and finalised everything about your vehicle with my in-law before he traveled back to ENGLAND. Am from (B.C)Canada and my Client is also from (ontario)Canada. He was very happy and thriled about the it and hopes the engine is well serviced because,He can't wait to see the vehicle parked in his garage.
    However, My client made out a (100%)certified cashiers check of ($9.500) Before he traveled back to ENGLAND on a crucial trip, the Amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is for the total Expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle, tax, the pick-up of the vehicle from its present location and the shipping charges /other Necessary Shipping arrangements.
    However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ($3.000) and send the balance of ($6.500) to my Pick-up agent via money gram Transfer to enable him offset shipping charges /arrangements. Once the transaction is concluded and the check clears my fore man will be coming for the Pick-Up of the car from its present location,
    on an open vehicle and then Drive to a pre-paid shipper for shipment, and also conclude other Necessary shipping arrangements. So you don't have to nuisance or bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements, while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via any courier service to my Customer.
    Please confirm the above explicit information and provide me with (1)Legal Name, (2)Address and (3)Phone number for check payment to be addressed and delivered to you via the fastest courier service.
    Here is my in-law's Information’s that will be used on
    The Title:
    Name: David Mollary
    Occupation: Chief Financial Officer and a Director of Flowing Energy Corporation, and
    a Director of Passion Media Inc.
    Address: Keith 2 Ferngate Drive, Manchester M20 4AH
    England, United Kingdom.

Thanks and have a great day!!!

So what do you guys think scam. I think soo. Its funny because I have no intention on selling it to anyone that is located out of the country. For someone to buy something of this nature and pay for shipping is absolutely obsurd. Sorry for the long read but what do you guys think?

2. grafixxman

grafixxman Registered Member

yes, they are trying to scam you. notice the part about the check being a lot higher and you're supposed to "refund" them the balance?

3. jekquistk5

I knew it was fishy because of the dudes name Bobby Bryan. Also he has no grammar what so ever(unless thats how all canadians are...lol).

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

So who has the check for $9500? If you have it, cash it, when it clears, give up the title and vehicle and the $6500 back to the "fore man"
    If he's just asking you to send him $6500,then yes it's a scam.

The whole thing is just a bit too much.

5. jekquistk5

reported it to autotraders fraud watch. and then sent it to FTC(federal trade commision) and the BBB.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I live in antario buddy i can help scam him! :D

7. jekquistk5

I requested that he send the check, I am opening a savings account which doesn't allow withdrawls and I will deposit it. I told him that I will have to wait 1 month until the funds have actually showed up. Internation checks take up to 4 weeks to clear.

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

SCAM! I can't believe people still try that one... it's so transparent it's disgusting.

Get him to send you the check through USPS to make him comit federal mail fraud while he's at it. Then really stick it to him then turn it into the USPS, FBI or FTC and every some other form of authority who's willing to listen. :)

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Damn! You beat me to it! Although I'd hesitate to cash it... I would take it down to your local police department when you get it.

10. jekquistk5

yup gave him my P.O. Box number didn't want to give him either of my two addresses. It's entertaining to say the least.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not much good, I have hurd storys of people bringing down the checks only to have the cops put in in one of the BOXES of checks tthey have .

the other thing is if you deposit the check the funds might show up, because the check is stolen not fake, and they could come down on you in a few weks/ months when they track it down.

12. roy87

roy87 Registered Member

yeh that defenetley sounds like a scam the same thing happened to me when i was trying to sell my 97 powerstroke he wanted to give me a couple grand more than what i was asking for it and in return i was going to have to pay to have the vehicle shipped and all that other stuff it sounded way to shady for me to do it and i would advise not doing it yourself.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It is a scam. It has been around for quite some time. If you receive the check just take it to the cops and leave it at that.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Wait he wants it delivered to Onterio from michigan???Tell him to send you all the cash and when it clears you'll deliver it..

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Dude, play along with it. Have them send you the check, take it to the bank too be verified. (Tell your bank that you believe the check may be fake or stolden. That protects you.) 99.9999999999% positive it'll be a bogus check. Then you can either frame it and put it on your wall, or turn it over to your local sherrif's dept. I turned one over to the police when a scammer tried that sh_t on me when I was selling the 73 Camaro. I emailed him telling him he could get his check back from the police, I even included thier address and phone number. I say make the scamming POS spend money too have the fake check Fed-Ex'd to you.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Before you cash it read this:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/30/BUGTGKRHSF1.DTL

18. jekquistk5

thanks def not cashing it taking it straight to bubba I mean the police

19. jekquistk5

A HAHAHAHAHAH Just traced his IP from which he was emailing me to surprise surprise...... Manchester England :) hmmm what to do now

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It is a scam, I would bet you cold hard cash that it is. Don't use your real name and NEVER provide a real address.

Definately don't deposit it, you could be liable for charges. Especially if you use WAMU (they charged me up the wazoo when I deposited a check into my account that bounced, and they didn't give a crap that I had no way to know a check from someone else would bounce).

The police will not bother. You or they will not catch the scammer. The USPS will not find anyone to charge with a crime, and if they do, it will be some gullible schmuck that's doing this for "a friend in another country that needed quick help with a deal".

But you could screw with him for a while and waste his time, frustrate him as much as possible... I do this as a hobby. I have a couple scammers on the line right now.
    When I see an ad that's an obvious scam, I respond and play along for as long as possible. I like when I can see them getting clearly pissed off and frustrated with me. :thumb: