Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is the doubler only good for rock crawling?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 23, 2001.

i was thinking of a mud and sand application because thats mostly what i have out here. would like to run 38s-39.5s or bigger and keep my 4.10s. i only have a mildly rebuilt 350. would my rig be totally gutless in 2-1 low? would i be lugging the motor too much 2 high driving around town? your web page says 3.73 and 44 would work, know anyone doing this? thanks

jason

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We've seen one rig in particular with an anemic 350, 4.10's and 44's that worked pretty well with the Doubler for a variety of offroad situations. With a smallish motor, you may want the 4:1 gear for running in sand and mud, you can always shift up after you start out. It's not the same as big power, but it's a pretty good all around substitute. You might post this up on the main board and maybe get some response from guys running the kit already. Personally I ran and still do run in 4:1 low most of the time on the trail, I just shift up in the trans for going a little faster. There are places that I'll use the 2:1 gear for the right kind of "bump" on the rocks, and 2:1 is nice in loose stuff now that I have the beans to really spin the tires.
    Another major plus would be that the low gears would make it much easier on the transmission when you're offroad.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

2. so what axle gear ratio are you running in the green blazer?

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

He is running 5.13 if I recall correctly. :)
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Now it's 5.13, I had 4.56's before that, and 3.73's in the stock axles.
    It's biased a little toward rockcrawling now, since that's mostly what we have here, and I entertained the option of using the overdrive on the highway. Turn out with the 42's it doesn't work very well, but I have a set of 37" radials to try out and that should work pretty well on the road. For multi purpose use, I'm thinking a set of 37 or 38" radials could be the ticket. OK on the highway, good offroad. The 42's drive ok, but really suck power and gas.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Mine rolls down the highway real nice on 7.00-15s.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Well I can tell you that when we get out of the rocks onto the sand roads in Moab and are desert racing back to the streets I can leave my doubler in low and in 4th gear (manual) when you stab the gas it will set you back in the seat. I dont know how much it might help you in the mud to be double low, but from conveince it cant be beat. If you put your doubler in low you can leave your tcase in 2hi and if you hit a bad spot just pull into 4 hi and you will be like being in 4 low but it is way easier to just make one click of the shifter from 2 low to 4 low and not have to stop put it in neutral to shift to 4 low. I might have never bought it back in Alabama, but if I ever wheeled there again I would sure use it.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In my experience in mud, you usually want higher gears for more wheel speed. If the mud is thick, sometimes you use 4 low, but no matter what, wheelspeed is the key, and the more you can have, the better.

The 2.61:1 in my NP 208 has been too much underdrive nearly every time I use it, necessitating extreme RPM in the mud to get the necessary wheelspeed.

I've had mine in 4 high, 3rd gear, and 5000 RPM. With my setup that's tires spinning 115 MPH.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. wow. my speedo only goes to 85 but i've had it all the way around to 85 again. it was then that i had the nessesary 88 thousand jigawatts of power to go back in time. they'd never seen a blazer before and thought it was a space ship. unfortunatly durring the time jump i broke my 10 bolt front end and had to take the delorian back to the future to pick up parts.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>