Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is the factory bed and tail pan still available?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, my tail pan is in pretty rough shape and i want to have to have my rotting bed cut out and replaced soon... I was wondering if anyone knew if i should be able to get these parts factory, i was told by a body place they were discontinued by GM, but told by another a little while ago that factory parts would be the best thing to get.

thanks,
    matt

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

LMC should have what you need,it looks like it will cost about 140.00 for both rear floor sections, (L) and (R) and 150.00 for the tail pan.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

actually, i knew about the lmc parts... but I wasnt sure if they were considered factory and if not if they would be as good as parts from GM.... if I'm gonna do this I want to use the best parts possible.

thanks,
    matt

ps
    i also read in an earlier post with someone modifying the tailpan area that they didnt like the tailpan from LMC, but that may have just been in dealing with the modifications.

besides this, does anyone else think the LMC parts should be what I use?

thanks again

4. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Hey Matt,

Lots of folks on here have undertaken that nasty job, including myself, so you can get plenty of advice just be searching on "tailpan" LOL.

There's a place in W. Bridgewater called RC Trucks that sells the three bed panels and the tailpan. A friend just redid his bed with their parts and they were decent quality. I believe they were cheaper than LMC plus you'll save the shipping cost since they're in Mass.

I custom fabbed replacement tailpans for both of my blazers fron box tube based upon this writeup: (http://coloradok5.com/rustytailgatehinge.shtml)

Let me know if you need more info.

John
    Stoughton, MA

5. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, thanks.... yeah i figured this was a pretty big issue in blazers.... last time i was at a local junkyard, i think 4 out of the 5 blazers i saw had the exact same rot in the bed/tailpan area. my tailpan is really bad though, thats why i'm trying to find out to get it done soon.

thanks again,
    matt