Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is the NP208 Crap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Parf, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Parf

Parf Registered Member

At what point must you swap out your NP208 for something stronger? 37" tires? 44's? When you need to go to the doubbler?
    I'm going 1-ton soon, and am going to need new driveshafts. Is a NP205 the only way to go? I never hear of anyone breaking their NP208 on here....can someone enlighten me? Do I have to figgure a T/C swap into the picture?

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you are going with heavier rears and bigger tires the 208 transfer is going to be the weak link in your rig. With it's aluminum case and the fact that it uses a chain inside it can't handle abuse like the older types. usually when they get high miles on them and things get a little worn problems develop. I have heard of the cases breaking and when they tear up inside it ruins the case. the 205 with the cast iron case and all gear drive is the way to go for reliability. If you want extremely low ratios you need the doubler, but just switching to a 205 will give you a lot more reliability.