Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is the rear disc kit swappable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fixmy59bug, May 2, 2007.

1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

I am looking at a rear disc brake kit on Ebay for $295 for my 14 bolt full floater. My question is, right now my rear end is a single rear wheel, but in the near future I am going to swap it to a dual rear wheel setup and would like to keep the rear discs. The reason it is so cheap is because there is no provision for an E-brake, however ever since my lift kit (and rear axle swap) I have not had a parking brake anyways. A kit with parking brake is $200 more so I may go that route if need be.

So is this kit swappable from SRW to DRW? I have not seen any information stating it is specifically for SRW or DRW. Thanks alot.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty sure they each use their own kit.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The duallies require entirely different rotors, and caliper locations change from SRW to DRW.

If you're going to run single wheels on the DRW, just for the wider WMS, then you could re-use the stuff, as long as it's not a weld-on kit.

The kit for parking brake just uses the El Dorado calipers instead of the front ones, btw.

In short, the off-the-shelf kits are generally for SRW, period. DRW is fairly complicated due to the depth of the wheels.

-- A

4. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

Well, that settles that. No rear disc brakes for me yet.

Is there an available kit for rear disc brakes for a DRW 14BFF? Or will I have to buy the kit and make the brackets myself? I would much rather buy an available kit.

Thanks again.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The biggest issue is the rotors; you either need some serious spacers or rotors with some deeeeep hats. I ended up using rotors from an '03 Express Van, IIRC.

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/caddy-calipers-installed-5.JPG

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/rear-disc-bits-painted-2.JPG

Blackbirds has dually kits:

http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index7.html#7dually

I am not aware of anybody else that sells complete kits for duallies.

They claim theirs fit into 16" wheels; I had to clearance my calipers and still ended up with a 1/4" spacer (see the first pic) to make mine work, but then mine is all custom weld-on as nobody had a kit when I did my dually conversion.

-- A