Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is the steel in a K5's frame heat-treated?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Jul 13, 2006.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I bent one of my tow hooks, and wanted to heat the little part of the frame up and pound it back flat. If it's heat treated though I assume I couldn't do that. Thoughts?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

That will probably work but it will be weaker than before and you will probably bend it again. If you have bent it once you should probably reinforce your tow points.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

It should only be weaker if indeed the frame is heat treated. It's not so much bent, more like "dimpled". The bolt through the frame has started to pull at the nut on the other side, creating a bulge and a gap between the tow hook and the frame. [Of course it took running over a 2002 Grand Prix to do that!]

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

The resto info lit pack that GM sent me on my 85 just says the frame is made of Carbon Steel with a tensile strength of 36-39,000 psi (section modulus 3.14).

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mild stamped steel...go ahead and heat it, you're not gonna hurt it.

Rene

6. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

guido we need pics!

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I wish I had some. They towed the car away before I could get hold of a camera, but I did try. The lady was going to turn and so I didn't slow down much assuming she would go and I would roll on by. Instead, she changed her mind because there was a car coming from the other direction, and suddenly stopped dead. There were 3 maple trees about 1' from the road edge on the right, the oncoming car, and the Grand Prix in front of me; I figured that was the path of least resistance. I hit her at about 20MPH and crushed the back end of the car to about the rear axle line, and pushed it about 15' (it was wet out). The insurance company totalled her car, and all it did to the [K5] Beast was bend the driver's side tow hook down 1" or so, and the spoiler broke the glass out of my Hella 5000 lamp [mounted in the grill]. I was kind of pissed it broke the glass, because no I have to get a new lens/reflector assembly for it. I ended up with one of my 40" Boggers on top of [what used to be] the trunk. I guess that will teach her not to make sudden irrational movements in traffic, and me not to follow so close or trust bad drivers.