Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is the tailgate pan completely bolt on or is it welded too?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, i cant remember, but i thought someone told me the tailgate pan that the hinges on the tailgate bolt to is all bolt in, i was wondering if it is... cause mine is getting pretty rotted on the driver side, i cant stand hitting a bump which isnt too bad and hearing that side of the tailgate bounce and slam down...

also, i was wondering if i can change it by just removing the gas tank to get at it? thanks, cause if it has to be cut and rewelded i'm gonna have to have it done for me.

thanks,
    matt

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

It is a weld in deal for the most part. If you crawl underneath and look at the outer edes, you will see bolts. The floor pan is welded to the tailpan. My tailgate posts were severly rotted and I grafted the bottoms off of a pickup. The tailpan on the pickup had a couple little BB sized welds holding things on. I think you're going to find things are even worse when you get into it. The best route would be a new floor from GM and wheel housings. Sounds drastic I know but usually on things like this you'll find tons of more problems when you get going. If things are OK, then I would suggest heading into the technical section of this site (look way at the top of the screen for the orange writing)and look that tailpan upgrade.

3. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

it has around 4 spot welds on each side and 4 bolts

4. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

"The floor pan is welded to the tailpan"

well.... its supposed to be but i dont know how much of the floor is really left around the tailpan on both sides, but mainly the passenger side is rotted... theres a decent rotted area too, a few inches maybe from the edge working its way in... plus the tailpan i think is fairly rotted on that side......it doesnt really offer enough resistance to open the tailgate any more, because the hinges are too stiff from the tailgate never origionally being opened much if at all.

could i possibly get by having the tailpan replaced and i think i've seen advertised for chevy pickups.. but if it fits, floor inserts that go over the floor pan pretty much as a second one to reinforce it or delay replacing.... i was told a few months ago it would be over a thousand to have the floorpan cut out and replaced. i wont have the money to have that kind of job done for a long time either.

well, thanks for the input,
    matt

5. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

Mostly weld in, but the reaql problem comes from the other damage besides the tail pan that you are going to find. Grafting in the floor and side rails becomes a hastle.

I did a complete hack job just to get the thing back on the road, but I know its going to continue to rot away. And removing the gas tank is absolutely needed. One for access and two, for safety when welding.