Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is The Transfer Case Binding Up???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Howdy All!!
    I came home last night and the mile road into my house is pretty rough due to the recent rains. Of course I don't slow down and I hit one helluva deep pot hole. I lost all forward power. I coasted into my lane and it was like the tranny went out. Depressing because I just put it in. I couldn't get a gear. It ground into park, but it didn't work either. I shut it off, walked to the garage, got a light and checked the linkage, no problem, checked fluid level, again good.
    I remembered that it did this to me a year ago. I locked the hubs, put it in 4hi and it worked fine. I drove it up to my garage, unlocked the hubs and put it back into 2wd. Everything worked fine.

My question is WHAAAAZ UUUUPPP???? Seems pretty strange.

It's a 1986 Silverado, 305ci, 208, Warn hubs, 700R.

Thanks guys,

Any input would be appreciated.

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I bet your T-case popped out of gear. That happened to me not too long ago...

Next time it happens check your t-case shifter and make sure it is in gear.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Actually I did check that, and it was still in 2wd. I tried moving the gear selector and the transfer case just whined or grind. It wasn't till I got out and locked the hubs did the selector actually go into 4x4.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What gear did you have the tranny in when youtryied putting it in 4wd. I know with my 208 if I dont have it in N or Park, it wont go into any gear in the t-case until I put it in either park or Nuetral.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I'm sure your transfer case slipped into neutral. My dog shifted my NP241 into N one time (one notch forward from 2HI), and it took me a few minutes to figure out what went wrong. Bad dog.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Even though there were no gears, I could tell it was in N when I put it in 4x4. The transfer case was "definately" not accidently shifted out of gear, that's why it's so strange.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I think they call it a range fork selector. Mine popped out of gear many years back, if I put it down to 4lo and drove around then shifted back to 2hi it was fine for a day or two. Eventually I had to tear the t case down and replace it. I think it was 60 dollars. Good luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim