Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a bigger or better door weatherstripping?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AJMBLAZER, Dec 15, 2006.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just wondering as the CUCV seems to leak pretty bad on the passenger side. The door appears to be hanging fine (in fact the driver's side is the problem child) but when I leave it sit in the snow, rain, or wash it water gets through pretty easily. The weatherstripping looks good but then again I haven't had one of these old GM's in over 10 years so I could be wrong.:confused:

Looking for a larger dimension weatherstripping or just something to stop the water from getting in. Big Ugly just became my DD for at least a while. The wife was in an accident today and luckily is fine but her truck is dead.

2. AJMBLAZER

Bueller?:confused:

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have never heard of larger weatherstripping but I bet your door isnt sealing as well as you think. Try loosining the bolt that hold your door on and pushing it closer to the body.

4. AJMBLAZER

Could you elaborate on which bolt to loosen and what exactly to push towards the body?

Not being sarcastic, I've sort of become a retroactive GM noob.:crazy:

5. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

youll need a 25* torx head (i think) loosen the striker bolt (big bolt the door latches to) on the back side of the door opening and slide it to the inside of the cab only go about 1/8 at a time. dont move it up or down. tighten it and check and repeat till the door is tight when shut. but i would check to be sure your weather strip hasnt flattened out first, or just replace both as its not that expencive. also a cheap fix it that grey foam weather strip tape sold at hardware stores

balzer

6. AJMBLAZER

Think I might have found the problem.

So the other day after work I'm closing the passenger side door and notice that there's a decent amount of up and down movement. Looks like the top hinge is loose at the pin.

Think this is the issue?

How do you fix this and how much of a bi$%& is it?

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fairly easy fix...maybe!..

You can buy door hinge bushings and pins.at Auto-Zone or other stores in the "HELP" aisle for about 5-10 bucks..GM dealer too..

The worst part of installing them, is its easiest if the door is removed completely,though I have done a few by just taking the bolts out of just the top hinge,then do the bottom one after the top hinge is bolted back on..its best to have 2 people to remove the door,and help get it back on..do not let the door "hang" on one hinge,put something under it so it wont sag while one hinge is off,if you try doing it that way...if you have power windows,I'd try fudging it one hinge at a time,rather than remove the door completely,so you wont need to mess with those bundles of wires..:doah:

Sometimes the hinges are hogged out so bad where the bushings go,you need to replace them,or weld the holes up and re-drill them so the bushings fit tightly again..one truck I had the hinges were so egged out,I just drilled them out with a 7/16" bit, and used 7/16" bolts as hinge pins!..worked pretty good actually..:crazy:

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have got hinges from a wrecking yard for like 10 bucks If your holes are egged out real bad I could probably find some to send you

9. AJMBLAZER

Looks like there's duct tape on the top hinge pin.

So basically if the hinge pin's bushing is wore out it's a whole new hinge?

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a set of passenger side hinges sitting in my garage if you are interested :deal: