Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a Dana 70HD Disc Brake Conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuallyK5, Aug 18, 2006.

1. DuallyK5

DuallyK5 Registered Member

Does anyone know if there is a disc brake conversion for a full-floater dana 70HD?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

IIRC, D70'd are the same diameter and hubs as 14BFF's. Now, duallies are a mess, and on mine I had to do some custom stuff ... I presume you're talking DRW?

-- A

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

d70 hd would have 4" axle tubes. it should have a 14 bolt style hub though. i used all the parts from your regular 14 blot disc swap, bought some weld on caliper brackets, & modified them to work

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Here's food for thought:

Take D60 front caliper mounts and depending on the diameter of the hole that slides over the spindle, mount that on the D70HD tube and weld it on there.
    Use some D60 rotors and calipers so you can have larger brakes than the smaller 3/4 ton.

Anyone have a D60 caliper mount to measure the inside diameter of the hole?

6. nvrenuf

:pimp: You mean like this... :pimp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inner diameter of the D60 bracket is larger than the axle tube so you can't weld them directly to each other (on the outside of the backing plate flange the axle tube tapers down dramatically). Would you could do is have Kert modify the weld on flange he made in the other thread so that instead of having the 4 bolt square pattern it could have the larger round pattern of the caliper bracket.

7. thatK30guy

Yep, just like that.

I knew you did it, John. Thing is, I just don't want to narrow a D70HD. I'd rather torch off the factory flange and reweld a new bracket to the tubes. Having a new bracket with the correct inside diameter and holes tapped into to it to accept the stock D60 caliper mount would be my preferred method.
    Got specs on the inside diameter hole of the caliper mounts? I think I might send Kert a message to ask if he can make these brackets. Hope he has some of these caliper mounts laying around so he can take measurements off of it.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

OMG that is sexy. Wish I'd thought of that before I did the disc rear of my 14BFF DRW ... but now that I have time and $$ invested in the rotors and calipers mounts, it would be painful to change my mind :)

But dang, I rarely sport wood over steel :haha: :bow:

-- A

9. nvrenuf

Wes, I'll try to get some inner bracket measurements tomorrow.

You're right, my option works so well because my housing is narrowed. If it were not, I'd need to either use a larger spacer to push the bracket out or do like you suggested and simply add a flange (like Kert's) further out. The second flange is easiest but I hate the look because the tube tapers a lot (maybe ~3/4") so.. to me... some of the beefy look is lost when you see the taper.

10. thatK30guy

I agree, John, about the taper of the tubing. If I had my way, I'd rather run the wide spacer and "cover up" the taper and make the whole thing look "beefier" with the wider spacer to run the mounts. This way if one were to go back to drum brakes, they can just simply remove everything and reinstall the old hardware.

I guess its all in the owner/operator/driver on how they want to run their preferred setup. I like how you had yours narrowed but around my parts, theres no business that can do that kind of work without making me feel safe about it. I'm in the middle of nowhere and shipping the housing out will kill this whole deal.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I did make a kit for Emmetology101. He has some pictures posted of it now. I won't get them on the website for a while yet. I don't have a Dana 70 axle here to do the test fitting so just not comfortable putting them on the website yet.

Emmetology also used a 14BFF hub. How does this change the kit? Or does it at all?

12. thatK30guy

The SRW bearing hubs flanges are approximately 2" or so outboard more than the DRW bearing hubs. Gives the rear track a wider stance but when used with the DRW D60 front, they almost track identically.

13. thatK30guy

BTW, what rotor is being used for the D70HD disc setup?

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I would imagine he's using the same rotor as spec'd for the regular 14BFF kit. I really would like to have a dana 70 here!

15. thatK30guy

How thick was the spacer you made for him?

16. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I would really like you to have a 70 there too :D

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just saw this...

I'll be running the same brake set-up(calipers and such) as a normal 14ff disc swap.... Kert sent me a pair of normal 14ff caliper brackets. And instead of the spacer for between the bracket and flange, he made me two new flanges to wled to the axle. That way there are no spacers needed... I will be getting my discs and calipers soon, so I will get install pics up in a week or so..

Here is a pic of the brackets and new flanges I got from Kert:

[​IMG]

18. Emmettology 101

If you need any info off the one I have, let me know! :thumb:

**EDIT** Oh and on the width.. Adding the 14SRW hubs moves the WMS out about 2.250".. Changes the WMS from approcimately 73" to 77.5".. Making the rear .5" wider than the front..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  19. nvrenuf

Emmettology 101, how will the srw hubs effect the new flange placement? Will you still have enough room left to put it on? I may be way off but sitting here thinking about it I'm wondering if your rotor will be so far outboard you wont be able to reach the flange.

Fwiw, if you need the extra offset I've heard that a mid~late 70's Ford D44 rotor has more "backspacing" than the typical GM application rotor.

20. Emmettology 101

Since I am welding on a new flange, I will be fine. Once I get my rotors mated to the hubs and the calipers/pads, I will bolt it all together. Then I can see where the new brake bracket flange needs to be and tack it on.. remove all the brake stuff and weld it up... Then I can grind down the old backng plate flange...